Social services home visit

WorriedMum05

Re: Social services home visit

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:47 pm

The once I ever saw her was when she came tearing into my home 2 days after the incident with 2 police officers and said if I let my ex see my son then they would take my son away from me.
A different social worker was sent to school to interview my son and as I said nothing till the letter I just got.

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Yes I think I will apply to find out what’s all been said.
I really hope so. I’m so unhappy with the way this has been handled.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm

WorriedMum05 wrote:Thoughts please?
There was an incident in my home back in April.
My ex pushed a door open on my face In front of my son. It was accidental but the neighbours called the police.
We were questioned and the police tried to stick 2 assault charges and one of reckless and culpable behaviour on him.
My son was questioned at school and social services turned up at my sons school and interviewed him. I was told that if I left my ex near my son they would take my son away.
I followed the rules.
We went to court. My ex was cleared of assault but did get a charge or reckless behaviour.
6 months since the incident and last hearing from social services I received a letter.
The letter states that a social worked ‘in training’ is coming to do a home visit to access the impact of the incident on my son and assess if he faces any risks.
Surely if they were concerned they would have been in touch long before now.
We had finally managed to put this behind us. My son is doing great at school. We have a lovely home and are settled.
Are they just doing this as routine or should I be worried?
I really am quite upset about this. Never been involved with social services before.
Dear Worriedmum05

Welcome to the parents’ discussion.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you are finding the involvement with children’s services (the new name for social services) so upsetting.
You have explained that there was an incident involving you and your partner which led to the police being called by a neighbour. In your opinion what happened to you was purely accidental, but the police charged your partner and he was eventually convicted on the charge or reckless behaviour.

The police have a duty to inform children’s services when they attend a domestic incident and there are children in the home. You say your son witnessed the incident between your and your partner. Children’s service’s involvement led to a social worker speaking to your son at his school. Subsequently, you say you were told that you should not allow your now ex-partner near your son or he would be removed from your care. The social worker, I think, should have explained to you the concerns and what action would be taken but saying your child would be removed is not the best way to do so.

It would have been appropriate for the social worker to explain any assessment that would be carried out and that in the intervening period it would be best for your partner to be away from your son. From your post it appears that you followed what you were told and kept your son from your fomer partner. You say that you followed the rules but only mention your ex-partner not being around your son. Was there anything else that children’s services requested that you do?

This advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services explain in details the steps children’s services should follow when they receive a referral about a child.

To receive a letter six (6) months after their initial involvement does nto seem like good practice or appropriate in the circumstances. Has anything happened with your son at school that would have been disclosed to children’s services? There could be any number of reasons why your case has now to the attention of a social worker, it could be that it has just been realised that appropriate action was not taken at the time. I am not sure why children’s services would be asking an ‘in training social worker’ to deal with your case. I suggest you write to children’s services and ask that they put in writing to explain the reasons why it has taken 6 months to make contact with you, what concerns they have now to reopen the case, how do they think it will affect your son to bring this matter up after such a long period.
You could also consider making a complaint about this decision. Please see our advice sheet Challenging decisions and making complaints

If, as you say, you and your son have moved on from what happened and there are no concerns with his school or any other professional regarding your son, I do not think you should have anything to be worried about. Children’s services will be concerned about any risks to which your son has been exposed or likely to be exposed to and if you are no longer in a relationship where there is domestic abuse there should be no safeguarding concerns.

I have advised you based on what is in your post and you have had the benefit of some advice from other posters on the forum.

You may like to discuss the situation further with an adviser on our advice line and, if this is the case, you can telephone the advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Wanted to say a huge thank you to you both. I put all your advice to me to the social services and they called school and popped round for a quick visit with only myself. Case closed!!!!!
Just shows you that you need to research things and ask advice.
Thank you both again.