Advice please

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 am

Advice please

Post by WB19 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 am

My 6 yr old grandson is under a care plan as his mother has unsuitable relationships. He is undergoing preproceeding process. Recently my son exercised his parental rights and is looking after my grandson as she bought a new unknown bf to live in her home however, as my gs school is an hour drive my ex sister in law and her husband have been looking after my gs during the week as the husband works near to gs school. My son fetches him in the afternoon. My son has moderate learning difficulties and a further ex sister in law has been attending the various meetings and acting as my sons advocate as I work full time and cannot get to all meetings. This has been going on since Middle of April this year. Sister in law and husband have been vetted as carers and are now wanting gs permanently. I only have 2 bed house and 2 sons at home so do not have room to take in son and gs. My worry is 1/. Social workers although are assessing my son for looking after his son seem to be promoting, my gs living with other relatives and talking about it as if it is a foregone conclusion. They have not offered him any help or support or put anything in place for my gs to remain with his father. Social workers have now suggested that my ex sister in law and husband apply for special guardianship of my gs. This is cause for concern as they are both Jehovah’s Witnesses and my son and grandson are not. 2/. The sister in law who has been attending meetings as my sons advocate is clearly not representing his best interests as she has stated he is not able to look after his son and said he is liar something social workers seem to take on board. Are we able to remove her from representing my son as advocate as she is not helping. All I would like is my son to be given the opportunity to care for his son and this is not happening. I feel as he is vulnerable he is being walked over. Any help, suggestions or advice please.????

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Advice please

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Dear WB19

Welcome to the discussion forum.

I can see that you are very concerned about your son and want him to be give support to be able to care for his son.

You believe that although your son is going through an assessment at the moment, there is no support being offered to him which would help him, as a parent with mild learning difficulties to have his son live with him. It may be that once the assessment has been completed children’s services will have a better idea of the kind of support he might need. Having said this, you are clearly worried that the plan appears to be that your grandson should be placed with an ex-sister in law and her husband, is this your son’s aunt and uncle?

Another issue of concern for you is that the person who is acting as an advocate for your son, rather than supporting him, is undermining him with children’s services.

I think there are a couple of things that the social worker involved can be asked since there is guidance on how parents with a learning disability should be treated when involved in this way. Firstly, you can ask if the social worker concerned has expertise in working with parents with a learning disability. Secondly, are the principles of the Good Practice Guidance on working with parents with a learning disability? (GPG) This guidance provides that information and communication should be done in a way accessible to the person with a learning disability.

Additionally, public authorities have a duty under the Equality Act 2010 in relation to equality of opportunity and to eliminate discrimination. Ask the social worker for their policy on working with parents with a disability.

Your son does not have to use your ex-sister in law as an advocate if this is not working for him. Children’s services should ensure under the GPG that he has access to independent advocacy. He can ask the social worker about this, he could also make contact with Scope on 0808 800 3333 who should be able to give him more information on how he should be treated as a parent with a learning disability. You might also want to contact the learning disability network.

Is your grandson on a child protection plan? What are the concerns regarding his mother’s care? Has your son considered making an application to the court for a child arrangement order for his son to live with him? You describe your son as vulnerable, do you think he has the ability to provide good enough parenting to his son. Does your son live with you?

Please read our advice sheet relating to Child protection procedures and information about Care (and related) proceedings

You or your may wish to speak to an adviser and to do so you can telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 808 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply