Normal Practice? Help!!

Inny

Normal Practice? Help!!

Post by Inny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 am

A few months ago my child's other parent assaulted him causing bruising. I contacted Social Services and they advised me to keep the child in my care and to take him to the hospital. Upon being seen by a doctor my child advised her that it happens all of the time. I then applied for an emergency order so the child could not be removed from my care.

Since then both parents have been working with Social Services while going through the courts. During this time I am being vilified by the social worker who doesn't take a blind bit of notice of what I say, has said that i have "over-reacted" and has also ignored the child's wishes and concerns despite me providing a copy of text messages etc. I have gotten to the point now where I have told her I will only communicate in writing as she has twisted and manipulated everything I've told her. She even hung up on me while I was putting her right on her false statements.

What I would like to know is - is it normal practice for a SW to visit a child at school and tell them the outcome of a hearing or what her recommendations are, before the parents are even aware?

Are Social Services too wrapped up in KPIs and willing to just blatantly lie, twist and manipulate the facts just to get the case closed?

Please anyone with any useful advise please help

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Normal Practice? Help!!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Dear Inny

Thank you for your post.

From what you say you are involved in private law proceedings and may be in court for a Child Arrangements Order in respect of your child.

Our service does not cover private law proceedings, but, in response to your question it is normal practice for social workers to visit children in the school (or other) environment and speak with them to ascertain their wishes and feelings and in an age appropriate discussion speak to them about what they might be recommending in court or for their future.

You say, however, that the social worker did not consult with you about their visit to your child’s school, nor indicate to you the nature of the discussion they planned to have with your child. May I suggest that you ask the social worker about their reasoning and/or complain about this to their manager? Our advice sheet about Challenging decisions and making complaints
may be useful to you. And for legal advice you may wish to speak to Child Law Advice

I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie