Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:26 pm


Post by SH123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 pm

:shock: anybody else in this horrible situation. After 2 failed relationships over 18 yrs my children 4.. we're placed on sgo with who I thought was my friend. 2014 this happened .. ten yres 3 kids one partner and 1 child with 8 yr relationship.. both domestic violence as me the only injured party. Emotional trauma my kids have sufferd. I am now fighting to see my children in court .. stand-in for myself as I can't afford solicitor. I hadn't seen them in nearly 12 months .. anybody any advise .. I'm at my wits end .

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Sgo

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Dear SH123

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Board and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you have not been able to have contact with your children. As you have not had contact for over a year, I assume there was not court order made for your contact. However, if the court made an order at the time the special guardianship order was made, you can apply to the court to enforce the order since the special guardian would be breaking a court order.

Since you say the special guardian was your friend, I guess there has been a break down in the relationship with you and this person. Before deciding to go to court, you could ask children’s services to help by liaising with the special guardian to see if agreement can be reached for contact to resume. Children’s services department should have in place support services where there is a special guardianship order in place and can help with issues relating to contact.

I am including herea copy of our advice sheet about what special guardianship means for birth parents. This will give you more information about your position is a birth parent.

What you need to understand is that when a person agrees to be a special guardian it is a long term commitment and not a stop gap where once the court proceedings end they can simply hand children back to the parent. This may be why the relationship has become strained with your friend who might feel that they have a responsibility to the children he or she is caring for under the order. It is of course always more helpful if birth parents and special guardians can maintain a civil relationship for the benefit of the child or children.

Should you decide to make an application to the court for contact, you can contact Coram Children’s Legal Centre (Child Law Advice) pm 0300 330 5480 for advice on what would be a private law application.

If you wish to speak to an adviser about children’s services involvement relating to contact and the special guardian, you can telephone our advice line on 0808 901 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3pm.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply