Page 1 of 1

advice about my chidren

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 am
by jojo123
Hi 22nd of december 2017 my children got taking into foster care due to neglect as i was in a relationship with a registered sex offender as a result in loosing my 4children i ended the relationship and ended all contact too bur that was not good enough they made up more excuses to keep my children like my house was dirty messy and smelly then i corrected all of that as it wasnt true what they were saying. Then they went onto my childrens school attendance atm im going through heartach due to all this as i no i am a fantastic mother and my children know im a fantastic mother i just dont understand why they r doing all this also the sex offender i was with i ended up pregnant and i gave birth to her on 23rd jun 2017 shes only 5 weeks old and they have removed her from my care too. My 15year old daughter 14year old son 10year old daughter and 8year old daughter r in long term foster care due to my final hearing i had on the 19th july 2017 i have been told off my solicitor i can put in for a discharge but not just yet as its too soon. The solicitor has advised me to consentrate on my 5week old daughter as shes on a seprate court case also my 15year old daughter keeps running home from foster placementthis has been going on a few weeks now csc have had to get a section 50 for police to phisicaly remove her and they are stopping my contact all my other children due to my 15year old returning home how can they punish me because of my daughters actions. Also i have alot of concerns regarding csc but i dont know what to do about it can somebody pls advise me pls

Re: advice about my chidren

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear jojo123

Welcome to the Parents Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, the online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that 4 of your children are now on full care order and in long term foster care following care proceedings. This case has been decided by the court and, whilst I can understand that you feel you were unfairly or wrongly treated the court has made a decision. If your legal representative considered that the decision could be appealed, they would no doubt have advised you to do so.

Now that the children are in long term foster care, you should try your best to continue having contact with them. Your contact should have been discussed at the time of the final hearing. It is important that you have an understanding of what duties children’s services have in respect of your children now that they are under care orders and I am sending you a copy of our advice sheet relating to these duties.

As you have been advised by your solicitor, it is possible to apply to discharge a care order but no application can be made to the court within six (6) months. It is also important that before considering such an application, you make sure that you address the concerns that led the court to decide that the children could not return to your care. If you do not already have a copy of the judgement then you should ask your solicitor for a copy. Read this carefully to see the reasons given by the judge why the children had to be made subject to care orders. You must address these concerns before going back to the court as if no significant changes are made it is unlikely your application would succeed.

I think your solicitor has given you very good advice relating to your baby. In that case, you need to show that you would be able to meet your baby’s needs within her timescale so if there are any courses you need to do or anything suggested in reports from the previous case that you need to do you should do them now. I do not know the details of your case as your solicitor who is the best person to advise you. To help you understand the process in addition to what your solicitor will advise you about care proceedings please read this advice sheet .

Children’s services should not stop your contact for more than 7 days without giving an explanation in writing. It appears that because of your 15 year old daughter’s behaviour in running away, children’s services may be concerned that until the children are settled in their foster placement it is best that there is no contact. Alternatively, they may take the view that you may encourage the children to act up so that their placements breakdown. This would not be good for the children or you as you may find that they are placed a long way from you if their placements breakdown, although their placements should be ones that meet each child's specific needs if they are placed together or separately. The advice sheet about contact with children in care will give you useful information about contact

The section 50 to which you refer in your post relates to applications for a recovery order as your daughter is running away. If you can encourage your daughter not to run away although it might be difficult being away from home or it could lead to action being taken to ensure that she is kept her safe.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser please telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful

Best wishes


Re: advice about my chidren

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 pm
by Chez83
Our children aged three and five were taking into care 3yrs ago. We've been fighting with social services since. My husband's daughter has kinship of them but I've found out they have applied for special guardianship. I don't want this. There is no contact between us. I see my kids once a week. Can they get special guardianship if birth parents dont to do mediation???

Re: advice about my chidren

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:42 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Chez83,

Welcome to the Parents Forum,
I can see that your children who are 3 and 5 are placed with your husband’s daughter who is a kinship carer.
You have been having contact with them every week. Now the carer is applying for a special guardianship order.

• First, the carer needs to apply for a mediation (MIAM) appointment. Your question is whether she can get an SGO if you do not agree to mediation.
Yes, mediation takes place to help people agree things so that court may not been needed. For example, you and the carer could agree what contact you will have with your children. However, you do not have to go to the mediation appointment. If you did not agree, then the next step is for the carer to apply to the court.

The Family Mediation council have information about mediation.

• Second, the carer will send you a copy of the court application for a special guardianship order.
• Third, is for you to attend the court hearing. You are entitled to attend the court and put in a statement. The court must also look at your contact with your children and may make a contact order- if this is needed.

Children services will have been asked to carry out an assessment and you can ask to see a copy of this assessment.
If your children are currently under a care order, then children services will also be a party to the court proceedings.
What can the court so?
The court can consider where your children will be living in the future as well as your contact with your children. I suggest you speak to your solicitor or call our advice line to discuss your options.
A SGO means that:
• Your children’s carer will get enhanced legal parental responsibility for them.
• Usually, children services will no longer be involved except for any support they are giving such as the SGO allowance.
• You will still have parental responsibility for your children but the carer will not need to consult you about many decisions that she makes.
• The SGO usually last until your children are 18.

For more information about what an SGO means, please see our information about SGO’s.

I hope this advice helps but please post again, if you need further advice.
Best wishes,