Child protection meeting

Chrislily

Child protection meeting

Post by Chrislily » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:10 am

I am really worried and upset I am going to a child protection meeting later today this is due to anonymous calls and letters to the social services about my children now I have had previous visits from social workers but nothing has ever come of it and case has been closed this time the social worker wants a section 46.

There are lots of reasons unknown to me as I have no idea what her concerns are I honestly sometimes have a volatile relationship with my eldest child but not to the extrem where I endanger her. I was given eleven pages of what was supposed to have been a repeat/assessment by this social worker and yet reading it is seems to be snippets of previous reports/assessments from other social workers.

A lot of the ibfirmstion is incorrect and as I had never seen any other reports before I was unaware that things had been wrote incorrectly.

Having looked in your web site I see it states I should have had copies of report from social workers and key professionals that are involved but apart from this paperwork I have never recieved any reports in the past.

The social worker turned up at my house last night less than twenty four hours before the meeting which I am extremely upset about but also stressing me out telling me that she us going to get a section 47 put in place and work to have my children removed from my care now not only am I stressed and worried but I am also six months pregnant suffering from depression can some one tell me what I can expect today at the meeting

Har1Her1

Re: Child protection meeting

Post by Har1Her1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:18 am

Hello Chrislily,

How did the meeting go? There is a thread on another branch of this forum which is about Child Protection Conferences and, although the advice comes from experience, everyone's experience is different. Some conferences are like a nightmare; others are positive and helpful. I was a bit concerned that your social worker had talked about having your children taken away and that this was mentioned before the Conference had taken place to determine whether or not there was any danger of significant harm. Furthermore, Child Protection Conferences are not held to decide whether or not to take your children into care, they are there to decide if there is any risk and if so, how this can be reduced. I think your social worker has acted a little unprofessionally if s/he has been talking about Care Orders at this stage.

I have been to a Conference very recently an I am still reeling from it. In my case my children were put on Child Protection Plans. If this has happened to your children, take heart. In most cases, the Plans are just a way of setting out what you would do anyway and the Child Protection amounts to a few visits and meetings where you can ensure that Children's Social Care and other agencies are doing what they agreed to do as well.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection meeting

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Dear Chrislily

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see that you are feeling very stressed and upset having children services involved in your family at the moment and I am sorry that you did not receive a response sooner.

Just to explain, when children services receive a referral whether anonymous or not, they have a duty to investigate in order to ensure that children are safeguarded. You say that that children services have carried out enquiries in the past but the cases have been closed. If children services receive regular referrals this might be the reason they consider the case more serious on this occasion. I have included a copy of our advice sheet about the procedures that children should follow when a referral is received. This should help you understand the process a bit more.

As children services has decided to carry out child protection enquiries (section 47), this suggests that there are concerns that your child has suffered harmed and is likely to suffer harm in the future. You state that you have a volatile relationship with your daughter and this in itself will be of concern to children services. The concern is likely to relate to the emotional impact the volatile nature of the relationship is having on your daughter.

You say that you have received a report which has incorrect information and include information from past reports. It would not be unusual for a report to refer to previous information where an assessment was carried out as the social worker preparing the report of his or her assessment has to look at the whole picture. If there are factual inaccuracies in the report, you should point these out and ask for changes to be made. I assume the meeting to which you refer may be an initial child protection conference and, if this is the case, you should point out the inaccuracies to the chair of the meeting. If the report is not to be amended then you should write out the correct facts and ask for this to be included on the case file. As part of the assessment, the social worker would make contact with professionals involved with your child or children.

As you have not received copies of previous reports, you may wish to request a copy of children services file and this advice sheet will help you to make the request.

It would be good practice to ensure that you receive the report at least 48 hours prior to the initial child protection conference or other meeting. This would give you the opportunity to read it through thoroughly and make comments on the report. A copy of our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures is here for your information.

I am sorry that the social worker acted in what appears to be an unprofessional way by telling you that your children are going to be removed. Children services cannot remove your children without your consent or a court order. They could only be removed by the police for up to 72 hours if it is thought at the children are at risk of immediate harm. There are correct procedures to be followed if children services decide to consider issuing court proceedings.

Children services are likely to consider pre-birth planning for your unborn child and could place the baby on a child protection plan prior to birth.
If you are unclear what children services have concerns about in relation to your care of your children, I suggest that you ask the social worker in writing, to explain what is required of you to address the concerns. This information should be in the report prepared by the social worker but do write to the social worker and team manager if you are unclear about anything.

It must be difficult having to cope with your pregnancy and what is a very stressful situation having children services involved with your family. I would advise that you cooperate with children services and, if there is a child protection plan, that you do all that is required of you in the plan.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please feel free to telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie