Granddaughters in foster care.

JKLYNN66

Granddaughters in foster care.

Post by JKLYNN66 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I am new to the site so am not sure what's what yet. My 2 granddaughters have been placed in foster care 4 years old an new born taken on her discharge from hospital after birth. My daughter (who lives quite some miles from me) ended up in labour at her home with 4 yr old present paramedics also attended for actual birth they took all three to hospital this was early hours an by time they got in touch with me was next afternoon I told nurse I would be there soon as possible as I would need sort things out first by time this was done an I arrived at hospital social worker who was already involved with my daughter had taken 4 yr old to foster care I have since had a nightmare trying to get her back. One minute they saying I could pick her up the next minute I could not I was told there would be a meeting to discuss things which I said I should attend an was told it was for professionals only but she would call me after meeting let me know outcome I had to ring her an got told I was unable pick granddaughter up as was to late,the next minute I get told they are going to court for interim care order on both girls partly because of daughters drug use of which I was not aware .On advice from solicitor my daughter did not contest the order an now both girls are in foster care. Daughter is allowed visits Monday to Friday of 2 hours with newborn an 2 visits a w with newborn an four yr old for 2 hours. Social worker has told a lot of lies an false accusations in report that I know but there is nothing I can do about it I am now getting assessed to be a foster carer which I doubt I will pass I have already been told by s.worker who took the children I would not pass due to several issues health,my home being to small etc I can't seem to get advice on anything what is best way to get the children back I just have not got a clue about anything.I have tried to get a solicitor who takes legal aid but have not been able to as of yet can anyone give advice on where do I start with all this nightmare,sorry going on I didn't relies I wrote so much, ***
Edited by Suzie to preserve confidentiality.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Granddaughters in foster care.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Dear JKLYNN66

Welcome to the parents forum.

I am so sorry to hear that your grandchildren are in the care of the local authority and that there are court (care) proceedings.

I will give you a response on the Parents’ Forum but you should register with Friends and Family Forum because you will be able to get a lot of support and advice from other friends and family carers.

Children services are taking care proceedings in respect of your grandchildren because they are worried that they have either suffered significant harm or are likely to suffer significant harm because mum may not be able to safely parent them which may be due to her drug use.

The care proceedings should be completed within the strict timetable of 26 weeks.

At the end of the proceedings the court will want to know where the children will live long term-until they 18. This could be:
• Back to the parents,
• If the parents fail the assessments, then to any friend or family (such as you) who have passed an assessment,
• If there is no suitable person in the family or friend network, then long term foster care (this is more likely for older children) or for younger children, as a last resort, the court will also want there to be a parallel plan for adoption.

Things to do now

1. Your assessment
When children go into the care system, they should usually be placed within the friends and family network, (before stranger foster care).
In an emergency, (which this was) children can sometimes be placed with a grandparent after basic checks. Children services would then go onto do a full fostering assessment.
Have a look at our information about how to ask for this and about seeking legal advice.
I know you are worried that you might not pass the fostering assessment. Our advice sheet here tells you what to expect. Please see the pages about housing. If your home is not suitable, children services can explore other housing options with you and help you.

If you do not pass the fostering assessment you will need to seek urgent legal advice about applying to the court to be a party to the proceedings and for a direction that there be a re assessment by an independent social worker.

2. Because the time for carrying out all the assessments is so short, it is crucial that you let children services and the court know (in writing) the details of anyone in your family and friend or community network-either in this country or abroad, who could be assessed to care for the children. This is in case mums or your assessments are negative.

3. You could also ask whether a family group conference is going to take place. This is where family and friends of mum (her consent will be needed) get together to come up with a plan of support for mum or to find people who can care for the children to avoid adoption.

4. I also suggest you contact the children’s guardian to let her/him know that you are keen to be assessed. You can also write directly to the court.

5. Also attend every court hearing you can. A lot of the plans are made between the parties and their solicitors outside the actual court room.

6. Consider applying to be made a party to the proceedings and applying for a court order for your grandchildren to live with you.

7. Ask (in writing) about seeing your grandchildren. Children services should promote contact between children and the extended family unless it is not in your grand children’s welfare.

8. Check that the foster carer is NOT a fostering to adopt placement. If it is, seek urgent legal advice or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

As time is of the essence you should as soon as possible, contact our advice line for advice and consider seeking legal advice.

Best wishes,

Suzie