Dont no what to do

J*****91

Dont no what to do

Post by J*****91 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 am

Hi. Long story short I'm a father to 3 children I have been fighting for my babies for nearly a year ( 6, 5, 2 years off age), after they got taken from my ex partner for neglect . I was told in Feb I'm getting them back in March but since my partner had got pregnant and now the social have changed to the don't support the children coming home. My daughter is really excited to come home as they told her she is and she's counting the days down.
The children are under care orders at the moment.
A few questions really.
Can they do that as my partner is pregnant?
What can I do?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Dont no what to do

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Dear j 91,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post.
I understand that there are care proceedings and your children have been removed from mum due to neglect. Are the care proceedings still ongoing? If so, when is the final hearing?

You say that the original plan was for your children to return home to you and your partner. However, the plan has changed since your new partner became pregnant.

You need to find out the reasons why children services have made this decision. Then you can address them. Have they explained why in their court statement?

What can you do to change their mind? If they are worried that you and your partner would not cope with a new baby and your children returning to live with you, think about what support you might need from children services, school, health visitor etc to make it work.

For example, can the foster carers be involved in the return home plan? What about other support such as a family support worker? Will you agree to a child protection plan or child in need plan for a while so that further support and monitoring can take place?

Or what about support in your friend and family network? You could ask for a family group conference (FGC) to see what support is available in your network. At the family group conference, a plan of support is prepared by family saying what support they could offer. See our advice sheet about Family Group Conferences FGC’s.

What is the alternative plan that children services have put forward? If it is decided by the court that you or mum cannot care for your children they should then consider connected persons (family and friends who do not need to live locally and can live in other parts of the UK or abroad).

Are there any friends or family, such as grandparents or even distant relatives or friends who can be assessed to care for your children long term?
Make sure that they have put themselves forward to be assessed.

Because of the age of your children, adoption is also likely to be planned for. Is this happening in your case?

Adoption should only happen if no other plan will do.
This is because adoption takes away parental rights (parental responsibility) from birth parents and usually there will be no direct contact between the children and birth parents. The law says adoption should be the last resort.

I have given you a lot of information. You will no doubt have questions so please post back as soon as you if you do.

Best wishes,

Suzie