My daughter is in temporary foster care. Finding it hard to cope!

DharmaPunx

My daughter is in temporary foster care. Finding it hard to cope!

Post by DharmaPunx » Mon May 18, 2015 9:02 pm

If anyone could advice me? My daughter was placed on temporary foster care it the end of last year. I was always told that she would return home, only since she has been there our relationship has been getting worse and worse until I I was being lied to as to why she couldn't come to contact. I haven't seen my daughter now since April 27th. I was then told on Monday that my daughter doesn't want to come home and that it is going to court. I'm heart broken and so worried about my daughter. I went to speak to her teacher and her schooling is now suffering. Im at a loss what to do. Even before this going to court I fear the damage is already done.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My daughter is in temporary foster care. Finding it hard to cope!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 22, 2015 9:39 am

Dear Dharmapunx

Welcome to the parents' discussion board. My name is Suzie, one of the Family Rights Groups online advisers.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing as a result of Children's Services involvement with your daughter, particularly as your daughter is accommodated and that you have been informed that Children's Services plan to issue care proceedings.

Whilst it is not clear about the reasons why your daughter was placed in care or why the Local Authority propose court action at this stage, you maintain full parental responsibility under section 20 Children Act, therefore is it because you have indicated your intention to withdrawn your consent, which of course you are within your rights to do?

Your daughter's age, wishes and feelings have to be carefully balanced against what is considered to be in her best interests. You may wish to request a family group conference so arrangements can be made for a meeting to be chaired by an independent coordinator to help you make safe plans for your child in the presence of extended family and friends support network. It may be helpful to ask for her to have an advocacy referral to equal opportunities NYAS so that she can be appropriately represented at Looked After Review meetings.

Prior to a young person returning home the Working Together 2015 specifies that an assessment must be conducted Under regulation 39 of the Care Planning Regulations 2010. You could ask this to be conducted and for a copy of this report to be given to you. However if the Local Authority have concerns about a young person's welfare in this instance, they should carry out appropriate enquiries under section 47 Children Act if they have reason to believe that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm.

I can see that this whole situation must be very distressing for you, because you have not had contact with your daughter for some time and now found she does not wish to return home to your care. If you have not already done so, I would make a written request for you to provided with a copy of the Local Authority's decision in writing, and would recommend you seek advice from an independent Children's Solicitor as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie