Frustrated father

Mickey

Frustrated father

Post by Mickey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:09 pm

My daughter was placed on a protection plan. My ex partner has been subject to previous investigations by social service and police regarding domestic violence, theft, assault and anti social behaviour. I have joint parental responsibility and since the split an agreement between me and ex-partner was made to have my child on weekends usually a fri-sat and more (when it suits). For the past 8 year this has been the arrangement. The previous investigations by these professionals I somehow was never made aware of despite playing an active role in my child's life, Until recently when my ex partner was knocked unconscious by her bf in front of my child, leading her to think her mother was dead.

To cut a long story short my child was placed on a protection plan. For the first two weeks contact was stopped by the mother., as well as 3/4 weeks previous. Week 2/3 I attended a core meeting and child services explained how the plan would be implemented. The first thing on the plan was that contact with me and my daughter should be maintained and promoted by all involved. The first two weeks went fine, however, the third week I was stopped seeing my child again for no apparent reason. Child services told me it was a civil matter, however it is on the protection as an action to be implemented. Also I was told at conference if the ex and her partner reconciled then police would remove the child from her care. The ex and her bf have reconciled. Children services are now telling me there isn't anything they can do until my child expresses concerns herself and the contact with myself and child is a "civil matter". Why are protection plans put in place if it isn't being abided by correctly? Has anybody ever been in a similar situation?.. All help would be a massive help . Thanks

warthhog123

Re: Frustrated father

Post by warthhog123 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi are the police involved?? I really dont understand as they removed my son from me due to domestic violence. I let my violent partner see my son and they removed in case he witnessed abuse so im struggling to understand what is happening with your ex.

Mickey

Post by Mickey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Sorry I'm not the best of writers.

The police are part of the professionals who came to the initial child protection conference. They said they would step in and remove my child from her care if my ex partner and bf who assaulted her reconciled. There has been a history of domestic violence with not only this partner but another 3 previous partners due to alcohol misuse. My child had been present on various occasions and even expressed her concerns about her mam being hit "again". I need to stress that violence to anybody is inexcusable, however, my child over the years seems to keep on being exposed to this chaotic and violence fuelled lifestyle of hers. Child services seem to think it's safe for her to remain in her care even tho they are aware of them reconciling.

warthhog123

Post by warthhog123 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Im so sorry, I cant quite believe they think its in your childs best interest to be around such abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My child witnessed nothing and was taken!!!!!! x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Dear Frustrated father

Welcome to the Parents' Discussion Board.

My name is Suzie and I am an Adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you are having difficulties with children services regarding the contact you are able to have with your daughter.

You have said that your daughter is subject to a child protection plan and the plan provides for action to be taken if your daughter’s mother reconciles with her partner. There are domestic violence issues in the relationship and she is now back with this partner. You are understandably concerned about your daughter’s welfare.

As children services are involved and your daughter is subject to a child protection plan they should consider your daughter’s need to have contact with you. It is not enough for them to say that it a civil matter, a plan is in place to ensure your daughter’s safety and if this is not been adhered to children services should take action.

If you are not having contact with your daughter you may wish to consider making an application to the court for a Child Arrangement Order regarding the times you will see your daughter. I have included a link about applying for a Child Arrangement Order here. I would also suggest that you consult a solicitor to get legal advice about your position.

As you are clearly unhappy about the decisions which children services are making about your daughter, you may wish to consider making a complaint about this. You can read about here about challenging decisions . However, rather than making a formal complaint to start with you could consider writing to the social worker and copying to the Chair of the child protection conference about your concerns. Ask for a written response within a specified time and if you are dissatisfied with the response, you can then make it a formal complaint.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie