Wife facing prison, now she's runaway with our son.

Tailman

Wife facing prison, now she's runaway with our son.

Post by Tailman » Sat May 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Two weeks ago I found a letter addressed to my wife from HMRC. It showed she had been claiming working and child tax credits as a lone parent, self employed, working 35 hours a week. She had been claiming this for six years! We have been married for seven years and never separated! I was in the Armed forces until last year, earning a decent wage! To hide the fraud from me, she told me she had been diagnosed withe a rare eye disease when I was serving in Iraq 2008, and that she was receiving DLA.
I called HMRC the following day and reported what I had found. They said they were stopping her payments and would start an investigation. My calculations put the overpayment to over £40,000!
Four days later 17/04/2014, she took my son to a play date at his friends, and I haven't seen or heard from either of them since.
I have now learned that they are currently in a women's refuge! This means that she must be claiming some form of domestic violence! Although I have not been interviewed by the police or social services, or received anything in the post! I am not a violent man and would never do anything to hurt either of them.
All my benefits have been stopped, and I am currently putting in all my claims again as a single claimant! I am getting kicked out of the family home as housing benefits will no longer cover the rent. And I will soon require the the help from a food bank!
I cannot submit any papers(C100,C4) to the family courts in order to see my son, until I have proof of benefits and I can submit a EX160! All of this could take weeks, and it is killing me that I can't speak to my son. I miss him every moment of every day, and I am constantly breaking down in tears!
What will happen next? How long could it be before I get to see my son? How can she be getting so much help without a single piece of evidence of domestic violence?

I need all the help I can get, so please leave any advice.

Thank you for reading.

frustrated mum

Re: Wife facing prison, now she's runaway with our son.

Post by frustrated mum » Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Wow , that was a huge shock to you. To find your wife has been living a double life for the past 7-6 years. Only advice i have is get yourself a family solicitor. And speak to the people here on the frg help line i have found them useful. Sorry if not much help.

Tailman

Post by Tailman » Sat May 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Yes it was a huge shock, but the biggest shock was when I realized they weren't coming home! I can't afford a solicitor. I can't afford anything at the moment. I'm lucky my phone and broadband are still working! I've had no income since the fraud was uncovered. She has destroyed my whole life, and I'm being punished for her crimes!

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 am

Dear Tailman,I strongly advise you not to ask for help from Children's Services;if you are in difficulties ,it may be the worst mistake you ever make and I dearly hope she hasn't. You would be better off doing her time for her!

charmed1

Post by charmed1 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 am

Dear Tailman I have no direct experience but I hope my observation will help a little.
Tailman wrote:I called HMRC the following day and reported what I had found. They said they were stopping her payments and would start an investigation. My calculations put the overpayment to over £40,000!
Your wife has broken the law by commiting fraud. I wonder if she is now claiming under another name as the HMRC are investigating her at present.
Tailman wrote: What will happen next? How long could it be before I get to see my son? How can she be getting so much help without a single piece of evidence of domestic violence?
I am not sure whether a woman has to prove that she is in danger in order to be given refuge. It appears that she is in hiding with your son and is likely to have given a false name no questions asked.

She may've contacted the social services herself but I'm not sure they will not help you at this stage. If you can find a solicitor who will give free advice (usually an hour) that practices family law. Failing that you can see an advisor at the citizens advice bureau for free. You clearly believe your wife is putting your son at risk and therefore it is your duty as a parent to protect him. You do need legal advice and quick. The HMRC need to get their butt in gear and investigate her for fraud. You need to find your son and get him home.

Try and stay strong and keep in touch with this forum as often as you can.

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Dear Tailman.Do all you can to keep the issues private ones between you and her.Should the CS become involved it will probably become a public law issue.
Fraud is not violence is it? Have you any reason to believe she would harm her own children? If not,fight her through private law . I advise you not to approach her or go near the shelter whatever you do or that will be held against you,