Could Really do with help

thisguys

Could Really do with help

Post by thisguys » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Am paul

I am in a desperate situation and could really use some expert advise. I have a child 13 week old, That I no long am able to accses, Me and my partner we living together up until 3 weeks ago when the relationship broke down. From birth my child was placed on a child protection plan due to my previous commited sexual offences, this was done after a conference meeting. At that point I was able to have Unlimited "supervised contact" with my daughter. With my ex partners perants and sister beening the supervisors. I have just completed a NSPCC course and awaiting the results. as I said before the relationship broke down and therefore the "supervisors are unsuitable/unwilling to supervise my contact". my childs social worker seams to be taking my ex partners side in all of this (maybe cause its easyer). Believing the "stories" they have said about be eg that I am an abusive partner "this is not the case" the babys mother has insisted to me that she will Not stop me from seeing my child. however due to the protective plan. I cant anyway. the social worker suggests that I seak Legal advice to arrange contact. But with no legal aid available for this any more and charges of £175 per hour.. and with me being on a low income its seam I will never be able to see her again. Wondering if anyone could help I have not seen her for 2 week and its Killing me inside.

Thanks

Paul

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Could Really do with help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am

Hello Paul

Welcome to the discussion boards.

My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry to read about the distressing situation you are in.

You do not mention in your post whether you have parental responsibility for your daughter. You will have this if you are on her birth certificate.

Assuming that you do have parental responsibility (PR) for your daughter, Children’s Services have a responsibility to be communicating with you and involving you in the child protection process. This includes ensuring you can be involved in the child protection conferences and core group meetings. Children’s Services do have the right to exclude you from attending these meetings if this assessed as being appropriate but, in this case, they should find alternative ways of involving you (such as separate meetings/ telephone calls to seek your views etc)

The purpose of the child protection process is to safeguard and promote your daughter’s best interests. It is right, therefore, that this process should consider your daughter's need to develop a meaningful relationship with both of her parents and that the child protection plan should include promoting an appropriate level of contact with you.

I would advise that you put your position in writing to the social worker, their manager and the person who chaired the child protection conference. Emphasise that your daughter is your priority, express your concerns about the current situation and your view that it is clearly in your daughter’s best interests to have contact with you. Point out that the child protection plan includes a level of appropriate contact between you and your daughter and ask that, as the current arrangements have broken down, an alternative be arranged as soon as possible. This could be contact supervised by another appropriate person (family member/ friend etc), supervised by the social worker or in a contact centre.

In the meantime, it is right that you should consider your legal options. Although you are right that legal aid is no longer available for the majority of family law cases, some solicitors will offer an initial 20/ 30 minute consultation for free so it is worth exploring this option to take some initial advice. You can find a list of local family law solicitors on the law society’s website.

Alternatively, the Children’s Legal Centre can offer free legal advice on their helpline- 08088 020 008

I hope this is a useful start Paul. Do come back to us if you would like any further advice. Alternatively, you may wish to call our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Mon- Fri, 9.30am- 3pm)

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser