Scared of Social services

Caiov79

Scared of Social services

Post by Caiov79 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi

I really need some advice please

6 years ago my 2 middle children went to live with my parents under a private sgo order, it was a hugely complicated case where even my social worker left her job and became my independent witness however my parents won the case.
There was substance misuse however I was 2 years clean at the time

After the case I moved to Spain as my parents stopped access and I needed time to heal

I am now 6 years clean and have an Amazing 2 year old daughter and an amazing relationship with my 2 eldest children

I am moving back to the UK in March and I'm petrified about what social services will or can do, my parents will try anything to open a case and they will not give up

I can prove everything but in my experience this means nothing

Can anyone offer advice

Miserylovescompany2

Re: Scared of Social services

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 am

Hello again,

I posted a response on one of your repeat threads. I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer to whether or not CS would get involved again?

The people/person who knows the details of your case would be the solicitor or legal team that represented you during the proceedings. I would suggest you contact them and have a conversation about what could happen when you return.

No-one here knows the details of your case. There might of been other concerns aside from the substance misuse.

In theory Children's services should look at how your life is now. However, if their previous concerns were serious then they could in theory insist on further assessments to establish whether or not you are able to provide "good enough" parenting for your child.

That's why I think it would be a good idea to speak with the legal team.

Can I ask how old your middle children are? Also would you wish to try and establish contact with them in the future. Did the court order prevent you from having any form of contact? Sorry in advance if my questions cause distress. They might help others offer you advice re your current situation.

Misery

QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi,

firstly, I just want to say how sorry I am that things ended how they did - the fact a social worker became an independent witness for you is rare!

I have a few thoughts on this; whilst I do not know the details of your case, at first glance it is very saddening that your parents essentially took your children from you and I think it's noteworthy that your parents stopped your contact with your children - this is not in the best interest of your children and, if this was to go back to court, this could be used against your parents as this clearly is not meeting your childrens emotional well-being or aiding their sense of identity and family.

Are you moving somewhere in the country away from your parents? This may be worth a thought? But of course, it would be good to be within driving distance of your eldest children.

I think your best move would be to approach a legal representative with this; I know it will be terrifying but it may be best for you to be the one to raise this as, if you don't and CS eventually get wind of it, they may accuse you of 'hiding' which could go against you.

I think you strong points are, as you've said, you're been free of substance misuse for 6 years - by rights, CS should focus on who you are now as it is who you are now that is caring for your child/children. Additionally, you've successfully cared for your youngest child without issue and have found a way to continue a good relationship with your eldest children in spite of the obsticals your parents put in the way - that again is a positive thing. If this were to go back to court, you may even be in a position to be able to bring your eldest two back home. x

DOR19

Post by DOR19 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:19 pm

I can only imagine how worried you are about this; I think every parent would be.

There are two scenarios:

1) You will move back to the UK and nobody will make a referral to Social Services and you and your daughter can continue living worry-free lives.

2) You will move back to the UK and somebody will make a referral to Social Services. Social Services will then consider whether they need to complete an assessment in relation to your daughter. Given your history, it will be very likely that this will be the case.

While your history raises concerns which justify a social care assessment, it does not automatically meet the threshold for removing your daughter from your care unless Social Care can evidence it.

This threshold can only be crossed if the court agrees:

that things have happened which have already caused significant harm to a child,
or pose a serious risk that significant harm will be suffered in the future,
or which show that the child is beyond parental control.

If the referral is made, Social Care should do the following checks:

- a safeguarding check with Spanish local authorities where you lived
- a check with health services in relation to your daughter in the areas where you lived
- a check with education, if your daughter accessed nursery in Spain
- a Spanish police check
- potentially also a check with local drug and alcohol services to establish whether you were involved with them while in Spain.

In addition, they will assess your current situation; part of it will be looking for evidence whether you are still misusing substances.

If none of these raise concerns, Social Services will not be able to evidence that your child has suffered or is at risk of suffering significant harm despite your past. I can imagine that this provides you with little reassurance but this is what the law/guidance says...