How do I get heard about my children?

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm

How do I get heard about my children?

Post by Pb2000 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 pm

My children are on a sgo, the person who my children are living with has broken court order for me to see my children, doesn't allow my children to speak freely to me and won't allow them to come to mine and I have been trying ti move contact forward

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2652
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: How do I get heard about my children?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Dear Pb2000

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry to see that you are having difficulties maintaining contact with your children because, as you say, the special guardian (person with the special guardianship order (SGO) has broken the court order for contact.

It must be very frustrating for you not to have proper contact with your children but I think you need to consider that when the special guardianship order was made it was on the basis that the children would remain with the special guardian and their home with him or her. The children need to settle and understand that it is home for them. That is not to say that it is right for you to be denied contact.

A copy of our advice sheet explaining what special guardianship means for birth parents is included for your further information. If you believe that you are now in a position to care for your children, you could consider an application to discharge the SGO.

As you say there is an order for contact and the special guardian is in breach of the order, you may wish to consider taking the matter to court to enforce the order or to ask for it to be changed so the kind of contact you want can be considered by the court. I suggest that you contact Coram Children’s Legal Centre (Child Law) on 0300 330 5480 who will be able to advise you further about making a private law application to the court. They do not advise where someone already has a solicitor and advice only persons in England.

You could also speak to your local authority children services (new name for social services) who might be able to assist by mediating between you and the special guardian.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply