What are the steps of the 7 week assessment?

Bex4502

What are the steps of the 7 week assessment?

Post by Bex4502 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi I have just started the process of the 7 week assessment and just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation to shed some light as to what ss do and look out for. It starts next week with them going to see my child at school but not sure as to what else they will do after then...is it a case of them talking to us separately?thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What are the steps of the 7 week assessment?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Dear Bex4502

Thank you for your further post. Unfortunately, you have not stated what assessment is being carried out by children services.
If they are carrying out child protection enquiries then it is normal for the social worker to speak to with the child or children in the family on their own. The social worker will also want to meet with the parents or other adults involved with child, usually on more than one occasion separately and together.

Once the enquiries/investigation are completed there will be a report with the social worker’s recommendations as to what should happen next. Please read our advice sheet advice sheet relating to child protection enquiries.

Please post again giving more information.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie

Bex4502

Post by Bex4502 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi Suzie it's a risk assessment as my partner was in jail for a sexual assault four years ago

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Dear Bex4502

Thank you for your further posts.

I can only repeat the advice I gave you in the previous response to your post. The social worker will carry out enquiries from police, probation relating to your now former partner. If you are no longer together and he is not to be risk assessed, then the assessment might just be about your ability to protect your child. Alternatively, as you have only recently separated from your partner children services may well still want to know the level of risk he might pose to your child, since the possibility remains that you might get back together.

The best thing for you, I think, is to ask the social worker about how the risk assessment will be carried out, the social worker should have given this information anyway. Different local authorities have different processes for carrying out an assessment. It could be that there is a multi-agency risk assessment conference (MARAC) depending on the nature and severity of the offence committed by your ex-partner.

There are special risk assessment tools used by social workers and other professionals in a risk assessment and the social worker should be able to give you full details.

You may also like to read our A-Z of terms relating to assessments and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about child protection

The Lucy Faithfull Foundation might be able to give you more details about the risk assessment where a sexual offence is the concern.

Whether or not your child will remain with in his father’s care, will depend on the outcome of any assessment of you and the father and final decision will be made by the court.

Please telephone our advice line if you wish to speak to an adviser. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie