What are the fathers grounds to take away my son?

Bex4502

What are the fathers grounds to take away my son?

Post by Bex4502 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:32 am

Hi,to cut a long story short I'm in a relationship with an ex offender that was in prison for a sex offence (not a child) this happened quite afew years ago now.
Now I wanted to know what my child's father can do does he have any grounds to try and take him away from me as he's been saying that he's seeking legal advice.I'm starting the 7 week assessment soon and just wondered if anyone has been through this.My son is ok with the assessment so I'm happy it's just his dad that's finding it a problem (which is understandable)

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What are the fathers grounds to take away my son?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Dear Bex4502,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.
Children services are currently carrying out an assessment into your family and in particular, whether you are able to protect your son from your new partner who might be risky to him due to a criminal conviction of sexual assault against an adult.

You want to know whether your child’s father has the power to take your son from you. He is seeking legal advice about your partner being risky to your son.
Dad could seek a child arrangements order asking the court that your son comes and lives with him.
The court would only award this, if it was in your son’s best interests to do so.

However, given your son appears settled and happy with you this seems unlikely.
If the court was concerned that your son was being put at risk of suffering harm by your new partner, then there it would be a different matter and dad could be successful.

To help the court make a decision, the court would want an assessment and section 7 report to be completed. They are likely to ask the social worker to do this for them.

Private law proceedings is not in our remit. To get detailed advice about this, you could contact Rights of Women

Or you could contact the. Coram Children’s Legal Centre

In the meantime, continue to fully cooperate with the assessment and continue to protect your son from any potential risk your new partner might pose.
You could talk to the Lucy Faithfull foundation in confidence about risks of sexual abuse in family situations so that you can understand which may hlwep you to be more protective. They can also advise you about what support might be available to you and your son.

If you have any questions, please post back.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Bex4502

Re: What are the fathers grounds to take away my son?

Post by Bex4502 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:55 am

Thankyou Suzie