Me and my Childrens Services experience(s)

Ignatious

Me and my Childrens Services experience(s)

Post by Ignatious » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Where to start,... Typically the beginning, so here's some background. I first became involved with my (now fiancée) back in 2011. At that time my partners ex in-laws from her first marriage had significant influence in her affairs (Bank, Email, Facebook etc.) Having systematically removed their hold over her, it wasn't long before malicious allegations of abuse towards her then 3 kids made there way to Child Services (CS). These allegations along with an unfortunate sequence of unexplained bruising on one of the children and we ended up on a Child Protection Plan. (CPP). Thankfully we came off that CPP back in mid 2013. (That's 2 and a half years of CS involvement in the space of one paragraph)

Since than we have constant contact and to some extent positive relations with CS. Myself and fiancée now have an additional 2 children (and 3rd on the way). I also now hold as of early 2015 full PR for 2 of the 3 children (the eldest no longer requiring it owing to her age)

However,...

Recently I have received another allegation of abuse against one of her children in that I 'kicked' him. The timing of the incident was at the end of the school day and it was reported to school the following day who had a duty of care to inform First Response. (FR) First Response responded with a section 47. In hindsight and with some investigation it appears my rights as a parent (duty to protect and maintain child, and to discipline child) and my Human Rights Article 11 (Right to be considered Innocent until proven guilty) has been breached. FR have used the 'historic allegations' (and that's all they were, nothing proven against me) and the aggressive wording of the word kick within its context of a written complaint. They, FR, judged that I had actually kicked my stepson and in their eyes immediately initiated a section 47. (More on this later, but I feel completely justified by my actions at that time as I felt I was acting in the best interests and safety of protecting my stepson and my neighbours property)

The following day, my partner, whilst up at the school to collect one of her other children, receives a call from the duty hub and is informed FR will be in attendance at the school to see child. When my partner arrives she is withheld access to her son whilst FR conduct a visual examination without consent, then proceed to escalate it to a child protection medical. In the process of attempting to transport child, that child was put into distress by FR by trying to put someone (child) of sufficient height and weight to not require one into a child car seat/booster.

Myself and my fiancée were absolutely disgusted by the actions of the FR team we put in the above 3 complaints to the Local Authority (1, withheld access, 2, medical examinations without consent, 3, distressing child).

Stage 1 of our complaints went (1) Not Upheld, (2) Not Upheld, (3) Upheld - Unhappy with this we escalated to stage 2.
Stage 2 of our complaints went (1) Not Upheld, (2) Upheld, (3) side-lined as it was upheld at stage 1 but no resolution

Currently escalated it to stage 3 with a date now set.

Throughout the course of the last year (as were now rapidly approaching 1 year since the originating incident) I have conducted my own investigation. According to my LA's CS guidelines (available on the internet) requires a minimum of 4 people to initiate a section 47. A Social worker, their team manager, someone from the police and a health professional (quote from guidelines,... "as a minimum"). Health professional i.e. paediatrician, health visitor, midwife etc. should be consulted in ALL cases where a child protection medical should take place. I have sourced a copy of the strategy discussion and there is no consultation with a health professional as per their own guidelines. Furthermore, within the paperwork received at stage 2, It is quoted by time when the strategy discussion started and when the decision to escalate to S47 as a 2 minute window. In my opinion, surely this is not enough time to give due consideration to the allegation. I'm currently awaiting details from the police (Subject access) in what they have on file regarding this incident. I also have child's child protection medical report which works in my favour that nothing happened. It is worth pointing out that post FR S47 investigation they took no further action.

Throughout stage 1 and 2, no ones looked at the underlying reasons behind the section 47, to my knowledge the person who witnessed the alleged 'kick' hasn't been consulted by FR or anyone else regarding her allegation towards me. FR and or SC using S47 to justify actions without proper regard for their own guidelines in my opinion, and the subsequent medical examination under duress and without parental consent (removed from home town and taken to another, it wasn't until put before a paediatrician consent was asked (by Paediatrician) and given) is borderline unjust.

Still unhappy with my 1st complaint as being not upheld as at stage 2 investigation, blame was moved away from FR to another party, who, by word from the other party were acting on FR instruction (isn't that the same as FR withholding access in the first place).

My question to anyone out there is have they felt they have also suffered injustice by Social Services (It doesn't matter what they call themselves now, its still the same thing) claiming section 47 as an excuse to justify there actions. And what actions did you take.

My concern is that all the historic allegations, which are now on record, the CPP, which is on record, the new allegation which is now on record are creating a negative picture when I myself have not done anything and having a picture of false positive. I think that'll do for now.
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.

Har1Her1

Re: Me and my Childrens Services experience(s)

Post by Har1Her1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Hello Tony,

When my children were placed under Child Protection Plans last year I complained to the LA that (a) they had not provided consistent support for my sons (which I though was important because they need things to be predictable) and (b) they were failing to work effectively with other agencies. I also complained to he police about he way they handled my son's situation in December.

I did not pursue any case beyond Stage 1, mainly because I was emotionally drained.

Ignatious

Re: Me and my Childrens Services experience(s)

Post by Ignatious » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:51 am

Thank you for the reply HerHar,

We were previously on a CPP and came off in 2013. Since then we would argue that the level of support we have received has diminished. Unfortunately for us, we are now back on another CPP. (Time to get the support we've missed out on over the last 3 years)

On a separate note, I recently had a LA stage 3 complaint. More unfortunately for me, I came into contact with some new information regarding my complaints that could not be included in the stage 3. (Need to give the LA time to properly investigate any new complaint).

Lesson learnt,... Don't wait to see what happens, pursue any new complaint as and when it becomes appropriate to do so. I got commended on how thorough my previous complaint was,... my new one should be doubly impressive in its specificness.
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.