Child protection conference, can the chair override everyone?

worried_parent

Child protection conference, can the chair override everyone?

Post by worried_parent » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:53 pm

I attended a child protection conference a few days ago, at the end the chair asked all the professionals if they considered a child protection plan should be put in place, all the professionals including the social worker said no but it should be a child in need plan, one said they were unsure. The chairman then made his own decision that there should be a child protection plan and under the bizarre heading of neglect, I won't go into the case details but it has nothing to do with neglect.

Is it usual for the chairperson to override all the professionals and make his own conclusion?

Mumof3

Re: Child protection conference, can the chair override everyone?

Post by Mumof3 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:48 am

We had to sit through child protection conference too and the two reps from school and medical person all said unsure but were told they had to give a decision yes or no , our situation is different though . Chair then asked them.to reconsider to whuch they then said yes. But was then told at next conference this decision could be changed. But as doon as decision was made child protection plan had already been written in her book . I know not same as you but i would pretty much believe that after our meeting the Chair has the power . I know as oarents we have no say .

Mumof3

Post by Mumof3 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:51 am

We had to sit through child protection conference too and the two reps from school and medical person all said unsure but were told they had to give a decision yes or no , our situation is different though . Chair then asked them.to reconsider to which they then said yes. But was then told at next conference this decision could be changed. But as soon as decision was made child protection plan had already been written in her book so I personally believe her mind already made up . I know not same as you but i would pretty much believe that after our meeting the Chair has the power . I know as parents we have no say .

worried_parent

Post by worried_parent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:13 pm

I've just got the plan through and it says conference members all agreed to CPP, which is an outright lie. Unfortunately there appears to be no right to appeal.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Dear worried parent

Thank you for posting on the Family Rights Group Parents’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the outcome of the child protection conference that you attended in respect of your children. The short answer to your question about the Chair of the child protection conference is that he or she can decide that a child should be on a plan even if other professionals do not. The chair has the deciding vote.

In your second post you say that it states that all professional agreed. If this is incorrect then I suggest you contact the chair and point out the error. I suggest you do this in writing and keep a copy for yourself.

It is possible to challenge the outcome of a child protection conference and I have included a copy of our advice sheet relating to child protection. Information about challenging the conference can be found at page 29 onwards.

I hope this is helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie