Social services and sex offender

Mothertobe

Social services and sex offender

Post by Mothertobe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:50 am

I'm currently pregnant with out first child. We have informed his police risk management office and my midwife that I'm pregnant and they said they will inform SS and ss will contact me when I'm 20 weeks.

My husband and I are scared about the outcome. He thinks that because of his history he wont be aloud contact with the child and knows if that happens we will have to spilt up.

My husband has sexual offences from a decade ago 4 counts of grooming and 5 of sexual touching of girls under 16. He was sentenced to 4.5 years and spent half in prison and half on licence. He is on the sex offenders register for life because of the amount of time sentenced.

I have been a wear of his offences from almost the begining and he has always been honest with me. (The police have also been through it with me to make sure he told me the truth)

I don't believe that he would be a risk to our child (male or female). He has contact with his 2 nieces and nephew (they are all under 10 yrs old ) since being out. SS had a meeting with his sister about it but that was over 5 years ago when he was released.

He has a job (something that hard to find with his offences) support from his family and from mine.

My husband is under the impression that social service will take one look at his record and say he can't have any contact with the child, without even having a meeting with us or him. He is scared that once I have the child he will lose the both of us.

I was wondering what happens when ss get involved and what are a possible outcomes they can choose from. Will we know the out come before I give birth? Who will be talked to by social services?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services and sex offender

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Dear Mothertobe

My name is Suzie, an adviser from the Family Rights Group, an organisation that gives advice where Children’s Services are involved.

I am sorry to hear you are worrying about the forthcoming Childrens’ Services involvement in respect of your unborn child.
It is clear that your husband’s offending history will be worrying to professionals who need to assess your family’s protection and support needs at this time.

Although you state that your husband’s convictions relate to 10 years ago, what is less clear is what age he was when these offences were committed and he will now be monitored for an indefinite period under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

In respect of any pre-birth assessment the Local Authority will need to also conduct a risk assessment to establish what if any protection measures they need to put in place. Because of their serious nature it is probable that an initial child protection conference will need to be convened to consider whether a multi-agency plan is required, to keep your child safe. Any assessments undertaken will involve the need to obtain reports from police, probation, midwife, health visitor, GP and any other agencies that may be involved.

You may wish to contact Lucy Faithfull Foundation who are not only commissioned to complete these types of assessments, they provide useful advice for families who are facing similar issues.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie