Complaining to CS

theonlywayisup

Complaining to CS

Post by theonlywayisup » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi there. I have just had notification that our "case" is being closed after 10 months (3 months of CPP. The treatment we have received has been terrible. The core assessments contain incorrect information that is hear say from other adults and not information from the children. Now the case is closing is it worth complaining or am I opening a new can of worms? I feel let down, and am angry that our children were subjected to outside interference unneccesarily which really unsettled them. Mistakes are being made at both ends of the scale with CS who I thought were supposed to support families and protect children.. not twist things round. Our assessments would be unjustified and unproven deformation of character in every other situation...how is this helpful to parents or children and what can I do to make sure it doesnt happen again to us or others? If they ever cross our path again weve been told they will get legal advice to remove them (there is no evidence or information from the kids to justify this just malicios adult lies).

TKH

Re: Complaining to CS

Post by TKH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 pm

We have also been through this even as far as a court case. Admittedly I had made mistakes myself and also allowed an abusive husband that had moved out to return daily and control everything and everyone but my reasoning was if he didnt get his own way he would bolt with the kids and get ss to support him getting custody. They said that was rediculous so I challenged him (like they asked ) and then ss offered to support his application for the kids! Only did they see the real him when he then said that he only wanted three of them ( he is the biological father of all 6). He made a great deal of fuss over access when the care order application was dropped and ss wished him to have 2/3 times a year I said once a month the court gave 6 times a year which i thought would be ok. It equates to roughly every holiday for one night.He hasnt seen them since a week before they broke for Christmas. The kids were on waiting lists for various supports and most went to the back of the queue again whilst we were involved with ss and court proceedings. I now have even more damaged kids who are anxious that ss may return and take them away,there is only so much you can do as a parent to reassure them.

theonlywayisup

Post by theonlywayisup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 am

It sounds like you have been through a terrible time and my heart goes out to you. I appreciate and understand how anxious it make you dealing with CS. Nobody is perfect and nobody has perfect children but it seems that CS have been left wide open to make innaccurate judgements without concrete evidence....its frightening that actually if you look at every parent you know there would be a scope somewhere that could be created for CS intervention! I think as much as possible its time to try and move on and give yourself and your children the life you deserve. Its all still raw for me too and its hard to focus positively after such unjust and unfair service when actually all we needed was a bit of help! I do think that its important to highlight problems to your MP so that if enough people come forward things can be put in place to make things better for other families to get the help they need to give their children the best future possible. In my opinion we just have to accept that the system failed us and there is not much else we can do. Not fair or right but at least its in the past and not the present or the future.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 am

Hi the only way is up

My name is Suzie, an advisor from the Family Rights Group.

Sorry that you seem to have been through such a difficult time.

With regards to the core assessment. It is important that you complete the parental views section, as this is your chance to have your say on the assessment, and is a record of any thing you may or may not agree with.

If after doing this, you still feel your views have been misrepresented, or there are further inaccuracies in the report, you should consider making a formal complaint, before your case is closed.

Should you wish to discuss your situation in more detail, you could contact the Family Rights Group advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie

theonlywayisup

Post by theonlywayisup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Suze. Thank you for replying. I did phone the help line and they suggested that I should be grateful that CS are now out of our lives and not create a fuss or we could "open another can of worms" I feel very strongly about the fact it is deemed acceptable to right a one sided report with unsubstantiated comments and did write a letter after the first core assessment. This was ignored and then not given to the new sw. I discovered this only a short while ago so sent another copy recorded delivery. It was put in the minutes of the last CP review that "I did not agree that the report was accurate but felt the children to be happy which was my main concern". The children were removed from the register 3 months after being put on it. The new SW has said we can either start again completely with the case or she will note my opinions but cannot change the information on the updated core assessment. I do not understand how or why this is? Ive been 100% honest working well with CS. I have said the report is inaccurate and one sided and does not express information from the children or any evidence substantiating the allegations but Im still told there is nothing I can do. Ive provided written statements from friends, family, minister, school and a child counceller which have all been ignored) I really dont want them in my life any more but I also do not want to live in fear of them producing further unsubstantiated reports in 6 months or 6 years to take my well loved, bright, funny happy children from me :( Ive never felt so sad or so helpless. Its caused so much stress to my whole family. My Dad died too during the investigation which was awful. My children have maintained bright & happy and continued to excel at school. It really is unbelievable how this has happened.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi the only way is up

I am sorry to hear about your bereavement, at what was already a stressful time for you. Have you been put in touch with any bereavement support groups to help you cope with your loss?

I am aware your children's file may have been closed by now.

Children's Services are unlikely to do a new core assessment unless there has been a significnt change to your families circumstances since the last one.

The new social worker can not re-write another worker's report, but is correct in offering you to start from the beginning, which would mean re-opening your case, and weeks of further professional involvement, that may not be of any benefit to the children.

That said, the last social worker should have included your comments, and the children's views. If this was not done, and there was factually incorrect information in the final report, it sounds like you may have grounds for complaint. You may want to decide what you want to do, so the children are not subject to unnecessary assessments, or further delay. Did you pursue the complaints procedure, as suggested?

Best Wishes

Suzie

theonlywayisup

Post by theonlywayisup » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Suzie. We had notification in the last core assessment that it was being recommended for closure. The new core assessment was ordered by the chair at the review cp conference where they took the children off of the register. 3 months later it has been done. It states exactly the same (incorrect) information as before which we disputed except they have added that significant changes have been made in communication between the parents and that I use the children for control. It also suggested that one of the childrens behaviour has "improved" when actually its been maintained. (this can be evidenced by the school). The report does not state any of the negative point or problems identified and improved from the other parent, it focuses soley on 3rd party word of mooth not substantiated by the children or any other evidence. Any factual evidence or information from other outside agancies has been "filed" but not discussed at any point. I am angry and feel vulnerable that this could happen again with severe consequences when we havent done anything wrong except told the truth and not got on with another adult! The children are well mannered, well educated and enjoy clubs, activities and friends. It seems so bizarre! I really feel strongly that social workers should be better trained, families should be given advocates and proffessionals should be held accountable for putting unsubstantiated information in reports as factual. How can I help other people and what can I do to protect my family in the future? With the current definitions of Emotional harm/abuse every family in the country could potentially be at risk from going through an experience like this! Human rights, family rights and childrens rights dont seem to far up the list of priorities as in my opinion putting pressure on families, and unsubstantiated allegations is not helpful in moving forward. I really feel passionate about this and want to help make a difference. Mistakes are being made -sometimes human error, sometimes under pressure, but they have consequences and these social workers need help to be the best they can be to ensure that families get the right help in the right way.

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 pm

The Only Way is Up,
We had our children removed permanently on the basis of a concocted core-assessment which was not made properly in consultation with us or anyone else and which was almost totally untrue.We were not given any chance to express any disagreements.The CS presented it to Court alongside a 'summary of facts and matters to satisfy threshhold criteria for neglect' which also mostly consisted of false statements being based mainly on the core-assessment which was made-up.We told solicitors the situation but it did us no good at all.The Judge 'preferred' their false evidence.Now the children are gone and we are told by the same solicitors we have no chance of appeal.
I hope you realise how fortunate you have been and am very glad you are interested in helping others. There is a campaign in existence which you could help and you should contact the website of JOHN HEMMING,MP who runs it.Also you can help by advising other parents through this discussion forum.

On the subject of complaining through the Local Authority Complaints Procedure, I can only give my experiences as an indicator to you.Unfortunately I could not afford to pay a solicitor to assist me with it.If you can the procedure might stand a better chance of working for you.
PART 1 COMPLAINT.
waited 11 months to receive a complaint investigation report written by the team leader .This investigator after refusing to see me to discuss it and refusing to see my written evidence ,denied any wrong doing and reported to the L.A. executive that I had constantly refused to acknowledge concerns and continued to argue the court decision.
PART 2 COMPLAINT.
THIS WAS TO AN INDEPENDENT SENIOR SOCIAL WORK MANAGER FROM ANOTHER AREA OF THE SAME LOCAL AUTHORITY ALONGSIDE AN INDEPENDENT NEUTRAL LAYPERSON.
Waited several months for this to be completed. They did interview me and asked me questions but refused to see my written evidence They interviewed the key social worker who confessed to them that she had created the care-plans without consulting us or even interviewing us formally 'due to time scales ' and accepted that she did not even read the true background information of our family because she thought it irrelevant.The investigation report also accepted that the official referral was wrong and apologised.However because the court had already made its decision and the children were in care they refused to recommend a Children's Services review of the case.

Because of all the months wasted with the procedure we were advised to pass the complaint straight to the Ombudsman. After another three months the Ombudsman told us they are unable to investigate any complaint where some of the matters had been aired in Court.

So we got nowhere really except that we have the second report which makes significant admissions .We are now trying to arrange for an appeal.

Consequently my advice to you is only complain if you can get legal assistance with it by someone who knows what they are doing and has some clout.Yes, you are right,we all have a moral responsibility to complain because it might help others.In my view the guilty social workers should be sacked and sent to prison.
Even if you won your case you can still make an application to the European Court of Human Rights if you feel strongly your human rights and those of others are being abused.You could see a solicitor about that.However, you have to consider the effectiveness of an application not least the COST effectiveness.You will have great difficulty getting a solicitor to take on the case and then no chance of getting legal aid and it would take several years for any case to get to Court.

We are in an almost impossible fight for justice ourselves and wish you well. Keep in touch through the forum.

theonlywayisup

Post by theonlywayisup » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:34 pm

It just absolutely astounds me that these things happen to people...I mean normal happy families. Im so so sorry for you and your children. In my opinion social workers should be able to be held accountable for information that they put in their reports if it can be proved that they have done it without evidence. This seems to be happening so much and the worst thing is that there is absolutely nothing in place to safeguard it. There are some good SW out there...all be it under pressure...but if you get an incompetant one ...then thats a done deal. I do not understand why social workers are only critisized or bought up to face the music when something publicly horrendous happens to some poor little child.....hasnt anyone noticed! Try and be strong for each other and know that one day you will be reunited with your children when they are no longer influenced as children but have minds and hearts as adults. Or even better perhaps somone inflential somewhere will start asking the right questions and carry some weight to revamp and moniter SW more closely. I will certainly check out the MP you have listed. I wish you luck, happiness and justice. Im so sorry you have been put in this position. Ive always said I can take critism and advice but I cannot accept the implication of lies. One day we have to hope some one has to see a pattern and take some notice.

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:12 am

the only way is up, as you say the worst is the lies.Of course,one cannot call them lies.The integrity of a social worker is never questioned and their fraudulent statements (of fact) even if later found to be untrue are always excused on the grounds that they were made in the context of 'reasonable professional opinion and comment'.Their statements are not subjected to rigid tests inside or outside the court room; the judiciary and the general public are conditioned to accept social work statements as the gospel truth made after considered professional judgment following all the legal guidelines and as such can be induced to agree to what is actually quite outrageous inhumanity.Please continue this thread,sorry for the delay in replying.Are you following the other threads?