Receiving a copy of your initial assesment

caroline

Receiving a copy of your initial assesment

Post by caroline » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 am

Hi there,

I have sent a email direct to the advise email however just wondering if anyone can tell me how soon after the initial assessment takes place you should receive your copy in the post. CS say they have no concerns about my child (as expected) however a great deal of information written down is not factual and if it is going to be on record I would like it correct. My reason for concern is that I believe they have doctored the dates on information. The letter states 17th Jan (they didn't have my new address then!?). The assessment was signed off by a manager on the 14th March, and the postal stamp says 19th March. The Initial assessment took place on the 20th November. For nearly 4 months they have had incorrect information written down!? I know as my child does not need anymore from them it isn't really relevant but I think it is important to have every thing factual...not falsified.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Receiving a copy of your initial assesment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the parents board! I am sorry to hear about your experience with children services involvement. It does look like errors have been made with the dates and that there has been a lot of delay in forwarding the assessment to you.

I also agree with you, that you should try to ensure that the assessment document-which will be on your daughters children file be corrected.
If there are factual errors you should ask that these are corrected. If you do not agree with the social workers opinion, then you could ask that your opinion is also reflected on the file.
I have the advantage of seeing your longer and more detailed email. I agree that you have
taken the best step by asking for a copy of your daughters file. If they are treating it as a data protection act request-then please have a look at our advice sheet about access to records.
It is a good idea to have a meeting with the social worker and team manager to discuss your concerns and ask that the record is corrected. However, if you felt that they were not dealing with your request appropriately, you could always ask the children services complaints.
In respect of timescales-have a look at your local authoritys child protection procedures. These will be in their webite.

I hope the advice sheets help.
Best wishes,
Suzie