April Fools – Laugh is on us with legal aid

ZigZag

April Fools – Laugh is on us with legal aid

Post by ZigZag » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 am

What a great day. April the 1st.

Benefit reform and the end of legal aid.

Well this April fool is worried about how to get help to secure the custody of their 5 month old child. I made an application for legal assistance two weeks ago but it has been very quiet on the solicitor front. I bet there are loads of us that have been caught on the change over from help to no help. Fantastic. Just lost my job too!

Esme, Moderator

Re: April Fools – Laugh is on us with legal aid

Post by Esme, Moderator » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi zigzg

Sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are in.

At FRG, we are also very concerned about the recent legal aid changes.

We will be keeping a close eye on the impact these changes have on our service users to see how we can best respond.

It will be really useful if parents can let us know about their experiences of legal aid over the coming months- particularly in relation to any difficulties and the effect these have on your case.

For advice about legal aid eligibility, we advise that parents contact the community legal advice helpline on 0845 3454 345

Best Wishes

Esme
FRG Moderator

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks Esme,
I will keep post updated.
Called my solicitor today, left a message and have had no reply.

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am

More mesages left and emails sent to my solicitor. Still no reply. Guess I am off the client list. No legal aid no help. Should I ask for my file?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi ZigZag

In relation to your question about obtaining your previous file, solicitors practices are required by the Law Solicitor to keep a copy of a person (or client's) records for a six year period.

Therefore, within this timescale you can apply in writing for copy of your file, and should be entitled to receive a copy of any court orders and any relevant correspondence relating to their past involvement with you.

Be prepared to attend the office, in person, to sign for any information that is given to you, and take any original identifying documents with you such as your passport, driving licence etc with you.

Best Wishes

Suzie

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi,

Just an update since my last post. I have written, emailed and called (leaving messages) the solicitors and still received no reply. That is 4 month without the solicitor returning a call, letter or email. I downloaded the complaint procedure and have sent a complaint in. That was last week,no reply as yet. Watch this space. I am still restricted on the access I can have to my daughter. Am being judged on my parenting skills and can't get adult services out for help. Another crew that don't seem to respond to letters asking for help.

I despair.

Onwards........