Special Guardianship Orders

mumof32017

Re: Special Guardianship Orders

Post by mumof32017 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51 am

Hi
I am a birth mum with a child under sgo and it has been so heart breaking feels like she was stolen away from me she was taken at birth

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Dear mumof32017

I see that this is a further post by you. As you have not given any details other than that there is a special guardianship order (SGO) in respect of your child, it is difficult to respond to you.

Please see our advice sheet about what special guardianship means for birth parents. This might give you more information about your position. Do post again with more details if you would like more advice.

Alternatively, if you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

I hope you will find the advice sheet helpful

Best wishes

Suzie

mumof32017

Post by mumof32017 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi suzie
Thanks for replying
My daughters is living with their paternal grandparents under the auspices of a special guardianship order I have not seen her since 2011 as they have totally alienated me and my family. I am seeing a solicitor soon to do contact order and other stuff
I have also found out they have changed her surname with my knowledge or consent so I am trying to find out what I can do about it
Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Mumof32017,

Thank you for the additional information.

Special guardians cannot change a child’s surname without the consent of the other people who have parental responsibility or without permission from a court. So, if you did not agree to it, in order for your child’s paternal grandparents to have changed your daughter’s name they must have had a court’s permission, although you should have been part of those proceedings. It may be a good idea for you to speak with your solicitor about this when you meet them.

There is more about this in our advice sheet that was included in the last post. I hope that you had the opportunity to read it. If not, here it is again, it is called special guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents?

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie

mumof32017

Post by mumof32017 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:33 am

Hi Suze
No the special guardians never went to court I have just found the copy of the deedpoll certificate which they did illegally without my consent or knowledge. I am taking them to court and asking for a specific issue order asking them to change hr name back and amother order to stop them doing it again and a child arrangements order for contact. I am also requesting all information from social services NHS and education dept as they have with held all this since they got her.
My legal adviser said I have a very strong case and I am representing myself
Thanks

mumof32017

Post by mumof32017 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 am

And yes I am have read that leaflet thats very helpful thanks susie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Dear mumof3217

Thank you for your further post.

I am pleased to see that you are now going forward with an application to the court regarding contact and in respect of the change of name.

If you are going to represent yourself at court you may wish to contact this organisation for advice on the court proceedings which are private law proceedings. Please note that if you have a solicitor representing you, then you will not be given advice as the service is for those without legal representation.

I hope you will have a good outcome from the court proceedings.
Best wishes
Suzie

Pb2000

Post by Pb2000 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi, I'm New here, my children are on a sgo from just over a year ago, I was in a bad place then , I've seen turned my life around, in a new relationship with a new baby not under s.s anymore with no professional support. I only to see my children once a month for under 2 hours ( supervised contact) I want to see my children more and unsupervised contact. I don't think the person with the sgo will agree, i understand i may need to go to mediation if the other person doesn't agree I can take it to court, does anyone have any idea how I would go about it, what forms would i need and how much I would be looking at im only looking for a rough price guide. What am I entitled to I.e doctors/medical records school reports school photos is there anything else I'm entitled to.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:45 am

Dear PB2000,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

I am glad to hear that that things are much better for you.

You want to know about how you might increase contact with your children, who are living with special guardians. You also want advice about how your parental responsibility for your children is affected by the special guardianship orders.

Contact
First, I suggest you plan ahead. Think how you would like contact to develop. So can contact:
• Progress into the community, to be supervised (away from the contact centre)? Who could supervised this?
• After a few months, could you have contact unsupervised?
• What about other forms of contact? Cards and presents, for example?

For more advice about contact you could speak to the National Association of child contact centres or the Coram child law advice line.

Second, write the special guardian with your suggestions. Outline how your life has changed. You could offer how grateful you are to the special guardian for looking after your children? Ask whether they agree to contact moving forward. Make suggestions.

Third, if nothing is agreed, then the next step is a mediation (MIAM) appointment .
The National Family Service can help. They will advise you about cost, legal aid (which may be available) and the process.

Fourth, if an agreement about contact cannot be reached at the mediation appointment, then the mediator will sign a court form allowing you to go to the family court and ask for a child arrangements order (for contact).
For advice about the forms needed and the process of going to court, you could look at Advice Now guides or contact the advice line at Coram Children’s Legal Centre who also both have guidance about private family law applications.

Parental responsibility
Have a look at our advice sheet for parents about special guardianship orders. Pages 5 and 6 detail the effect of a special guardianship order on a birth parents legal parental responsibility.
So if you want copies of school reports, then your parental responsibility should allow you to get these copies. However, for the purposes of working well with the special guardian, I suggest you let her/him know that you will be asking for the reports.

I hope it is clear but if you have any questions, please post back.

Best wishes,

Suzie

mumof32017

Post by mumof32017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:13 am

Hi Suzie
Sorry I have not replied back earlier has been a while I have been really unwell with kidney disease and lupus so have had to postpone going to court.
Update
The special guardians have been contacting Myou other daughters to arrange contact rather than speak to me or their father and I am concerned as my daughters are very vulnerable due to all that has happened my eldest is now 18 but my youngest is only 14 so I am worried they are only trying to get into their heads and are not serious at all about letting them see her. Is this a matter I can talk to the police about They have only let her see her twice in 2 years yet won't even consider letting me see her. I have had unsupervised contact with my eldest girls for most of my other child's life with no problems surely this will go for me. They have not let me know anything about her health and well being school etc I don't even know where they live any more it's a case of parental alienation and her father won't even tell me any thing surely I am entitled to see all of her health and school records etc but how can I if they won't even talk to me
Any advice would be greatly appreciated this is a total nightmare
Thanks
*****(edited by Suzie to adhere to confidentiality rule of the discussion board)