changing sons school

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 pm

changing sons school

Post by rob007 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

my son is 4 1/2 and we split up aug 2012. i havent seen him since and nil contact of any kind. My son is on a ss protection plan as mum is an idiot. I went to parents evening last tues and all went great. i asked if they needed anything and they said donations were gratefully recieved. I arranged for some toys and books to be sent in the next day. This was agreed with the teacher and the head. I went the next day and waited outside the school at 0910 while 2 friends delivered the toys to the head who gratefully recieved them.
While i was there my ex sister followed me to the school and confronted me and my friends and said that i shouldnt be there and i had no right to take the toys.
I told her to leave me alone and i reported her for harrasment.
My ex has now taken ben out of school fri and mon and says she will now change his school. I have pr but no order for contact as we are in the court process and undergoing sec 7 report. is there anyway i can stop my son being moved. His attendence has been shocking and social services have criticised mums selfish behaviour stating that she doesnt consider the emotional needs of her kids. Will the ss help and will a pso to stop the change be an option. My son loves the school and his teacher is brilliant. He is really happy at school and im desperate that she cant upset my sons life like she wants to.
Any ideas please. I have zero contact with the ex due to a restraining order.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: changing sons school

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Hello Rob

Welcome to the discussion boards. My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group.

I’m sorry to hear about your difficult and upsetting situation. You are clearly very worried about your son’s welfare.

As both you and your ex partner have parental responsibility (PR) for your son, you each have the legal right to make decisions about his care without consulting anyone else. Although the idea behind the law is that parents with PR will discuss and agree important decisions about a child’s life (in his best interests), clearly this does not always happen, as in your case.

As Children’s Services are involved, I would certainly advise that you update them as soon as possible. It seems likely that the recent situation will heighten their concerns about your ex’s ability to prioritise your son’s needs over her own and they may advise her to reconsider her decision. In the current situation, though, Children’s Services have no PR for your son and, therefore, have no legal power to overrule the decision.

The only concrete way to stop your ex from changing your son’s school would be to ask the court to intervene by making a prohibitive steps order (PSO), as you mentioned, or a specific issues order (SIO). If possible, I would advise you to speak to a solicitor about this as soon as you can.

If you do not have a solicitor, you can get more information about making a private law application (e.g. a PSO or SIO) from the children’s legal centre

I hope this is helpful Rob.

Best Wishes

FRG Adviser

Post Reply