Advice needed new pregnancy!!

Simplifewanted

Advice needed new pregnancy!!

Post by Simplifewanted » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:20 pm

I have recently found out I am pregnant. My last pregnancy 5 years ago, I struggled with alcohol and failed a drug test so was referred to SS. They opened a case but it was closed when my son was 3 months old and have had no other involvement since. My concern is that the hospital will refer me again just because of last time which I do not want as them being involved was such a horrible stressful time. I am now in recovery and have been sober for nearly 11 months. Can the hospital make a referral just based on my last pregnancy? (I asked for the help last time and they referred me which is not what I meant by help) and will they make me take a drug test through this pregnancy? I have nothing to hide but I just want this pregnancy to be ‘normal’ and no extra support as I have a massive support network from AA and also my family and friends. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice needed new pregnancy!!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Dear Simplelifewanted

Welcome to the Family Rights Group (FRG) parents discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry that I have not been able to respond to your query before now.

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! Also well done on your continued recovery and engagement with AA. It is great to hear that your involvement with children’s services was limited, that you continued to care safely for you son and that you have a great support network.

You don’t say if you received or are receiving any support around drug use although if the case was closed to children’s services after 3 months and you have had no involvement since then this suggests that this is no longer a difficulty for you.

You want to know if the hospital will make a referral based on the concerns when you were pregnant last time. I can see that you don’t think this is necessary as your situation is so much different than before.

I think the best thing to do is to let the midwife know how well you are currently doing, that you have great support and that you do not feel in need of any additional services at this time. You do say that you have been sober for 11 months which is a great achievement but relatively recent so you might want to show that you have thought about how to maintain this and now how to access support should you feel at risk of a relapse. If the midwife thinks that a referral to children’s services is necessary due to your previous circumstances or identifies any current concerns or issues perhaps exacerbated by pregnancy then they should discuss this with you, explain why and ask your consent to be referred. A professional should only refer you without your consent if there are specific safeguarding concerns.

If a referral is made and children’s services decide to do an assessment they would need to be aware of the previous issues but also would need to assess your current situation and the evidence that you have managed very well and are also well-supported which is a protective factor.

Here is our advice sheet: an introductory guide to children’s services which sets out how they can work with families and our advice sheet on family support which provides more details about assessments.

I hope that your pregnancy goes well. If you continue to engage with your support services and networks and with your midwifery and health services hopefully you will have the simple life you are seeking.

If children’s services do become involved please do not hesitate to post an update or if you prefer to speak to an adviser please call our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm.

With best wishes

Suzie