Care proceedings

AN611

Care proceedings

Post by AN611 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Hello, my daughter whom has had her child temporarily removed from home until a decision has been made about her future, has been told that a letter is on the way, they can tell her no more, has to read the letter and that her partner and herself have to get separate solicitors.
Is having separate solicitors normal?

Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Care proceedings

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Dear AN611

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thanks for posting.

I see from your post that your daughter’s child was temporarily removed from her home. You do not give any details about the circumstances which that led to this happening but I assume there are safeguarding concerns.

It may be that there was a child protection plan in place and children’s services is arranging a pre-proceedings meeting to discuss their concerns if the child protection plan has not been followed. Alternatively, they could be writing to inform the parents that they have made an application to the court and they should arrange for separate solicitors. Usually, parents have different solicitors to ensure there is no conflict of interest.

You may find it helpful to read our advice sheets Child protection procedures and Care (and related) proceedings.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our free advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie