PAMS assessment

CheekyBerry30

PAMS assessment

Post by CheekyBerry30 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello. At the moment I'm at the mother and baby unit to do my PAMS assessment. Is it always 12 weeks or 6-8 weeks is enough? My social worker said i might be able to go home in 6-8 weeks, but then i found out she didn't know much about this place, some info was wrong. Who decides when i can go home - social services or mother and baby unit staff?? Anyone been in similar situation? It's nice here, but i want to go home, they sent me here straight from hospital with my newborn baby, it was very stressful and hard couple of days. So far staff are very happy about me, I'm doing everything for the baby, no concerns but you never know what they put on your file. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: PAMS assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Dear CheekyBerry30,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It sounds like you had a difficult few days transferring from the hospital to the unit. You are now settled, and staff are very happy with how you are looking after your baby. Being assessed in a mother and baby unit can be stressful but it is important that you continue with the assessment as it will help the social worker make decisions about your baby such as whether you might need more help and support.
If the plan is for you to go home straight after the assessment, then the assessment will help the social worker decide what support you might need.

You ask how long the assessment will take. I am not able to say as there can be different timescales for parenting assessments.
Ask your key worker at the mother and baby unit or her manager. They should be able to give you the dates. If it helps, ask them to write the dates down for you.

At the end of the assessment there should also be a meeting to discuss what happens next. So, if you were going straight home, the assessment should outline what support will be given to you.

Here is some information about assessments.

I hope this advice helps. If you have any questions, please post again.
Best wishes,
Suzie