Social services taking my child.

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Social services taking my child.

Post by JCWA40 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:29 pm

1 year and a half ago I had my child taken off me, This was due to an ex and his mum hurting my child but there wasn't much evidence to charge them so they placed her with a family member. Social have sinced closed the case and I'm free to go see my daughter whenever I like but the family members had to go through fostering when it all happened so she permanently lives there. I've recently found I'm pregnant and a single mother the farther is not the ex! Was a drunken mistake. But I don't believe in giving up this baby!! since the incident with my daughter I don't have contact with my ex or his family! Haven't done since January last year! I've got my own place now and I just want to be able to ease with my baby! But I'm so worried social might take it of because of what happened to my daughter! Please someone give me some advice!

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Social services taking my child.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Dear JCWA40

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry that we were not able to respond to you sooner.

I am sorry to hear that you are not able to care for your daughter at at the moment but it is good that you are able to see her regularly. Just to note, the current arrangement for your daughter can no longer be fostering as if it was children’s services would be required to remain involved. It may be that the family member has been given a court order allowing them to care for your daughter – either a Child Arrangements Order or a Special Guardianship Order.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. You think you will be bringing the baby up as a single parent; your ex-partner (who you state was responsible for hurting your daughter) is not the father and you are no longer in contact with him or his family. You have also now got your own place and seem to have moved forward a lot. Well done; I am sure it was not easy. It is important that your situation now is not the same as when children’s services were last involved.

However, because your daughter was removed from your care it is likely that children’s services will want to do a pre-birth assessment now that you are expecting a new baby. It is understandable that you are feeling worried about children’s services becoming involved when you are pregnant.

Sometimes, in this situation an expectant mother may feel they want to hide from professionals or not tell anyone about the new pregnancy. However, this is not a good idea. Avoiding professionals or hiding your pregnancy is only likely to make things much worse. It is usually best if you contact children’s services yourself to update them on your pregnancy. Or if you prefer, you could do this jointly with your GP or your midwife when you have your next appointment.

The social worker doing a pre-birth assessment will want to work with you to assess whether you can now look after your new baby. The assessment may include:

• Your understanding of the problems that led to your previous child being removed
• Whether you have been able to overcome the problems that were there before
• What support you can get when the baby is born (in order to help you keep your child safely with you).

You might find our advice sheet on family support (which explains more about assessments) helpful.

In some cases if children’s services are worried that your baby may be at risk, the social worker might arrange a child protection conference with other professionals to discuss this further.

If the social worker says there are child protection concerns then do read our advice sheet on child protection procedures .

Here are some tips on what to do:

• Stay in regular touch with health professionals to make sure you get the ante-natal care that you and your baby need
• Work with the social worker to make a safe plan for your child for when they are born
• Suggest services that you think would assist you to safely parent your child
• Share with the social worker details of any family members who could help you to care for the baby safely or who could care for the baby after the birth if you’re not able to.

You could ask for a family group conference.

You might want to find out what local services there are that may be able to support you during your pregnancy and afterwards. You might be able to find this out by looking up your local Family Information Service.

If you have any further queries please do post again or if you prefer to speak to an adviser you can ring our freephone advice helpline on 0808 8010366 Mon - Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays).

I hope this is helpful to you.

With best wishes


Post Reply