Has anyone successfully complained?

LMBSE1971

Has anyone successfully complained?

Post by LMBSE1971 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm

I was bullied out of making a stage 1 complaint (and the case was subsequently and very coincidentally escalated to Child Protection) and as such I am too afraid to make another complaint at the moment in case it it used against me. The local authority have shown a shocking lack of professionalism to the point of misfeasance in my case, and have recently had me removed from my job in addition to other things. Everyone I have spoken to are completely stumped as to how they have managed to make a child protection case out of our situation,

Is it worth complaining? Obviously not at the moment as it will bring more vindictiveness down on my head but in the future? Do complaints get anywhere or is the corruption so deep that everyone will protect each others backs and nothing will be done?

swim

Re: Has anyone successfully complained?

Post by swim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am

Yes and no in my case. I'm in the same quandary.

First 'letter of correction' to my social worker was just plain ignored. The social worker went through it, said what an excellent writer I was but failed to make any changes to the factual information. Things started to escalate like they did with you.

When they told us out of the blue that court proceedings were going ahead and told my parents they were taking my daughter away I took a huge risk and sent a major complaint to both the head of Children's Social Services and copied in their boss, head of social services. This at least got a new social worker on the case, and while I think she has been unreasonable on a couple of points she has been honest to a fault and willing to at least have a discussion about the issues. I'm not saying you should do the same but the gamble at least kept our child in our care (though still went through court procedures). If I was to do it again I would copy in my local MP and make it clear they had seen it. Obviously I was ultimately punished in different ways, but I have my daughter now and it got me chance to prove I can parent. It could have gone the other way and I think if I had kept it in house it would have.

Funnily enough my solicitor warned me in no uncertain times to not make a complaint to them until the process was over, but then they flat out refused to contest the order when I said that's what I wanted to do and didn't get glaring mistakes corrected.

Hope whatever you decide to do helps, but a level 1 complaint will be whitewashed in my experience.

LMBSE1971 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm I was bullied out of making a stage 1 complaint (and the case was subsequently and very coincidentally escalated to Child Protection) and as such I am too afraid to make another complaint at the moment in case it it used against me. The local authority have shown a shocking lack of professionalism to the point of misfeasance in my case, and have recently had me removed from my job in addition to other things. Everyone I have spoken to are completely stumped as to how they have managed to make a child protection case out of our situation,

Is it worth complaining? Obviously not at the moment as it will bring more vindictiveness down on my head but in the future? Do complaints get anywhere or is the corruption so deep that everyone will protect each others backs and nothing will be done?

LMBSE1971

Post by LMBSE1971 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:32 pm

I want to complain, I want to get the social worker disicplined, I want compensation for the destruction of mine and my children's lives. It has been nothing but vindictive pointless and destructive.

DesperateDad

Post by DesperateDad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:35 am

Yes, I complained and fought throughout, and it nearly cost me everything BUT ultimately it paid off.
Every solicitor, social worker and friend told us to cave in, put up, get on with it because of escalation.
Sure enough they escalated, bullied, threatened.
But, I think they’re used to starting that tactic and it working. However, each time they did, I complained, fought back, found out my rights, kept copious documentation (& made sure they knew I had evidence), recorded all conversations and outed that in conferences. They said I’d broken the rules by recording, I responded “maybe, but it doesn’t change the fact that I still have recorded evidence of you bullying or lying.”.... eventually they wanted my case closed, but not before they’d lost me my job, health, income, nearly my house, nearly my relationship with my children’s mother, wanted to disclose to my extended family (I fought and stopped them). After 4yrs of hell, I look about 20yrs older, BUT I now have resumed ‘normality’ with my children, they’ve disappeared and I’d fight them all over again. Bunch of dishonest and power-crazed bigots who depend on our silence (for fear of our own humiliation and escalation) in order to carry out the sentences they like to enforce.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:28 pm

LMBSE1971 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm I was bullied out of making a stage 1 complaint (and the case was subsequently and very coincidentally escalated to Child Protection) and as such I am too afraid to make another complaint at the moment in case it it used against me. The local authority have shown a shocking lack of professionalism to the point of misfeasance in my case, and have recently had me removed from my job in addition to other things. Everyone I have spoken to are completely stumped as to how they have managed to make a child protection case out of our situation,

Dear LMBSE1971

Thank you for your further posts which I will respond to you here.

Sorry that it has taken some time to respond.

I see that you are concerned that you were prevented from making a complaint to children’s services in respect of their handling of your case.

It would be inappropriate for you to be prevented from making a complaint if you believe or have concerns about the way in which the social worker managed your case. Any complaint you might make should not lead to any vindictiveness towards you since the local authority has a complaints procedure which is for persons who wish to raise complaint and those dealing with a complaint should deal with them in a professional way. There should be a complaints officer to deal with your formal complaint.

You may find it helpful to read the complaints policy for your local authority which you can ask the social worker for a copy of find it on the local authority’s website. There is likely to be a complaints policy specific to children’s social care. It might also be helpful for you to read our advice sheet Challenging decisions and making complaints for more information.

Whether or not you are able to seek compensation from children’s services is something you ought to discuss with a solicitor because it will depend on whether children’s services acted unlawfully or exceeded the powers given to them as a safeguarding body for children. Having said that, if your complaint were to go as far as the Local Government Ombudsman and it is upheld, it is possible that there could be a financial payment if they consider it appropriate.

You may wish to speak to an adviser and, if so, you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie