Am I able to keep some of my medical records private from social services .

Pam

Am I able to keep some of my medical records private from social services .

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi there currently under social services for a malitus call . Theyve asked for my medical records which I'm happy to share bit there's bit I want to keep private that I don't want dragging up . Is my gp able to keep parts of my records private ?. I've read online this can be done but aren't sure ?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Am I able to keep some of my medical records private from social services .

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Dear Pam,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.
I can see that children services are carrying out an assessment after they received what looks like a malicious referral. The social worker has asked to see your medical records. You are happy to cooperate with this but you want to keep some of your medical record confidential.

Have a look at the golden rules on page 4 of the Information Sharing guidance.

The social worker should have explained why she wanted access to your records and who she might share your records with. For example, information from your records might go into an assessment report.
When the GP receives the request, then s/he would need either your consent to share, or if you had not given consent, consider whether the child protection threshold had been met so needed to share your medical records without your consent.

When the GP shares your records, this needs to be “proportionate, relevant, adequate, accurate, timely and secure”. If you had a medical condition that might affect your ability to care for your child, then it is likely to be shared with the social worker. If you has disclosed evidence of domestic violence then this may be shared. But your whole medical record would not be shared as most of it is not “relevant” and it would not be “necessary” or “proportionate” to do so.

Practically, I suggest you speak to your GP about those parts that you do not want to be disclosed. Ask that you be advised, if the information must be disclosed. Also ask the social worker the reason why she wants access to your medical records.

Have a look at information about social worker assessments so you know what to expect.

I hope this advice helps. If you have any questions please post again.

Best wishes,
Suzie