Child services involvement with all children

LBR3011

Child services involvement with all children

Post by LBR3011 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

Hello I am new to the forum as I need some advice, my child’s father has another daughter who’s mother called child services due to him hitting her.
We are no longer in a relationship and haven’t been for 2 years but he still sees his children.
I am concerned obviously for my children’s well-being and will not allow him to have access if he is a danger. Will social services contact me regarding the matter and advise on the next steps. I appreciate the importance of data protection and understand the case itself won’t be discussed but wondering what this means for me and my children.
He has never hit mine although he threatens to when they’re naughty and we often argue about that as i am strongly against. I am reluctant to allow him to see them unless he gets some help with his anger issues.. any advice is welcome x

Miserylovescompany2

Re: Child services involvement with all children

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello

There is no law against smacking or reasonable chastisement - if for example a mark is left this is not considered reasonable.

It is difficult to say what will happen next regarding your own situation. Firstly Children's service would need to look at exactly what happened with the other child. If they were of the mindset this was not classed as reasonable they could make a plan to ensure the child was safe from harm. This could impact on your own child and contact with their father.

My own personal belief is similar to your own. I am against smacking, hitting or threatening a child with the before mentioned. Children for the most part learn from example. I wouldn't think of hitting an adult if they didn't do what I had asked...

Personally, if you do have concerns you could potentially contact either Children's services or a health visitor. Even a school or nursery. You haven't stated how old your child is? So just coving a wider scope.

I hope this is useful - I am just a parent like yourself.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child services involvement with all children

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Dear LBR3011

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see that you are concerned about the possibility of children’s services becoming involved with you and your children because your former partner, and the children’s father, is being investigated after hitting his daughter from a previous relationship.

It is likely that a social worker will make contact with you depending on the investigation being carried out and whether they decide that he is a safeguarding risk to your children. The fact that you are no longer with the children’s father might reduce the concerns but he/she could discuss with you what should happen regarding his contact with your children.

You mention that the children’s father has anger issues and he has made threats to the children which are likely to be a concern to children’s services and could be seen as emotional abuse. If you believe that it is important that he addresses his anger issues then you can tell him about the concerns you have and why you think it is important.

If you decided to stop his contact, he could make an application to the court for a child arrangement order for contact. The court would look at all the circumstances and your reasons for ending contact. The court would only make an order if in the child’s best interest and account would be taken of the children’s wishes and feelings depending on their age and understanding.

You could make contact with children’s services yourself to mention the concerns you have regarding the current situation.

I am attaching our advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services which explains what happens when children’s services receive a referral.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie