how much contact?

hadenough

how much contact?

Post by hadenough » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

how much contact should u expect with a SGO as i have received the letter from the review from my sons lac review and they are saying i will have my contact reduced from monthly to every 6 WEEKS :\ i am sooooo annoyed this will do my head in!! i already hate waiting a whooole month to see him now ive got to wait even longer what gives the family and friends social worker the right to make that decision and how can i disagree with it to get what level of contact I FEEL is acceptable

Gem247

Re: how much contact?

Post by Gem247 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Hello,

My child is with the paternal grandmother under a special guardianship order. The plan of the LA was monthly, but the Guardian said it was not enough. I wanted weekly contact, but have 2 weekly.

I think that as your child is with grandparents, i.e. family, you should ask for more. A minimum of monthly, as you were getting.

You need to remind the LA that any reduction should be made with a court order and that they cannot reduce it like this.

The grandparents have PR and if the LA have a Supervision order, then they have some PR. But any Judge will usually order the amount of contact that the person/s with the SGO can offer and in the interests of the child.

Also, there should be an Independent reviewing officer- IRO, with meetings, whereby you can raise the issue of contact with them. He or she will normally have the power to overide any decision made by the LA. The issue of contact can be discussed at the meeting between you and the grandparents. If they feel it is in your child's interests to have monthly or even 2 weekly, the IRO can approve it.

I hope this helps.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: how much contact?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Hadenough

Thank you for your post.

I agree with Gem247 that you should raise your concerns about contact with the Independent Reviewing Officer, who could explain the reasons behind any decisions made in the Looked After Review meeting.

However, a Supervision Order does not give the Local Authority parental responsibility, but more of a monitoring role of the supervision plan. This would remain with the parent (s) or anyone else that may share it.

Best Wishes

Suzie