When will I hear from social services?

PurpleRain92

When will I hear from social services?

Post by PurpleRain92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am

Hiya. Quick backstory, my eldest daughter was placed on a child in need plan 3 years ago for roughly 3 months after an assessment and visits due to me suffering from anxiety and depression and my home environment suffered as a result.
The case was closed after I engaged with counselling and had someone come and help me set up a routine etc at home.
I split from her father nearly four years ago and didn't let her stay with him due to his mental health issues (severe depression). However, this year he had been receiving medication and help and seemed a lot better and so I allowed my daughter to stay four times during the year.
On the 30th of August, social services received a referral for my daughter due to his environment being messy and my daughter being there. They come out to see me on the 13th of September and were satisfied that i am keeping my daughter at home until he has fixed himself and his home up. They were happy and stated after the assessment and speaking to my daughter that they were going to close the case. However, it has now been around 60 days since I have seen them and heard nothing.
I called them three weeks ago and they stated they have still got to finish a few checks, and so long as nothing shows up, they will close it still.
When i asked what was taking so long, I was told it is because other cases are taking priority. I am just wondering when I should hear from them again? If they do close the case, how will they inform me of this? My anxiety has barely affected me the last few years but all of this not knowing is sending me crazy. Thank you in advance :D

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: When will I hear from social services?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Dear PurpleRain92

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see from your post that you are very anxious following children’s services recent involvement due to your daughter’s father being referred due to his home being very messy whilst your daughter was with him for contact.

An initial assessment was done and the social worker informed you that they have no concerns about your own home and were happy that you were doing the right thing keeping your daughter away from her father whilst her sorts out his health and his home. You were told that the case is likely to be closed but this has not yet happened and it causing you a lot of concern.

At the moment children’s services are not concerned about your daughter she is safe in your care and, although you want to have a final decision, your case might not be as urgent as other cases so might not be getting the priority you would like it to have. This has been explained to you as unfortunately this often happens that new case come and take priority especially where a child has been hurt.

The fact that your case is not treated as urgent means that children’s services may not have a high level of concern and in your case, no concerns about your care means that you do not need to worry so much that you have not heard from the social worker. Give them the opportunity to complete the final checks. It might help if you read our advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services which explains the process when children's services receive a referral.

Once the final decision has been made you should receive a letter to inform you that the case has been closed.

I understand that the situation is of concern but try not to worry too much as this will have an adverse impact on your health.

If you would like to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie