Notified of social services involvement

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:54 am

Notified of social services involvement

Post by Homerjsimpson27 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi all,

My first post here so hopefully I'm in the right place.

My ex partner has an OH who has just been released from prison. He spent approx 6-8 weeks inside and is completing his sentence on tag.

My ex partner has said that social services have met with her and told her that her OH cannot live with them and my 2 kids for 7 weeks.

She messaged me to let me know they are also going to contact me.

I don't know for sure what he has been inside for as she has been vague and the story has changed a few times. I know he has had history as he was in the paper for some con he pulled.

What advice can you give me? Will social services tell me what he was inside for? Do I need to be worried? What will the social workers want to know from

She said they are completing an assessment but something is not adding up. Can anyone advise? I'm anticipating there call at any point.


User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2285
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Notified of social services involvement

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Dear Homerjsimpson27

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

You say that your ex-partner has informed you that children’s services intend to carry out an assessment and that her partner is not able to live with them for 7 weeks. The information you have from your ex-partner is vague and you do not know what to expect as you have been told that children’s services will contact you.

As you are the father of the children they will want you to be aware of their concerns. They may even ask if you would be willing to care for your children depending on the outcome of this assessment. If the partner is not able to be in the home this suggests that there are safeguarding concerns about her partner. If you have parental responsibility for your children, then children’s services must keep you informed. Please read our advice sheet about Parental Responsibility.

Our advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services will give you more information about what happens when children’s services receive a referral.

These advice sheets Family support and Child protection procedures will give you details about the kind of assessment children’s services may be considering. It could be, depending on what their concerns are that they may do a risk assessment of her partner.

If you would like to speak to an adviser about this matter, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Fridays from 9.30am to 3pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply