I’m in hospital

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am

I’m in hospital

Post by GA123 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

I’m currently a patient on a section in hospital I have been told I shouldn’t be on a section and I will be being discharged soon but I have also just found out I am pregnant with my partners child, I already have a little princess who is now 4 but she is in the care of my mother as my mental health 4 years ago wasn’t good at all I am extremely worried that they will try to take this little baba off of me even thous I’m the most stable I have ever been please please please can someone give me some advice
Many thanks
Last edited by Suzie, FRG Adviser on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To protect anonymity

Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: I’m in hospital

Post by Kami2018 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Hiya I'm so sorry for your situation at present you say you have been sectioned and you have lost a daughter to your parents care because of ur mental illness 4 years ago I'm so sorry that youbhave had a rough time but I want you also to know that you can with work with social services by making steps to prove to them how well you are doing if it considered mentally stable as I'm unsure of ur hole situation I can't give you 100 percent acrrucy but I know that you can certainly try your best and do all u can to keep this baby in it care

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2215
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: I’m in hospital

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Dear GA123,

Welcome to the parents Forum. Congratulations of your pregnancy.

I am glad to hear that your mental health is more stable then 4 years ago when you were too unwell to care for your daughter.
Your daughter now lives with her grandmother.

No doubt you will be worried about children services intervention in respect of your unborn child. I can give some basic advice about this.

It is likely that the midwife or GP will refer you to Children services. Children services may then carry out a "pre- birth assessment" to find out how things have changed since 4 years ago. They will consider any support you and your partner might need to enable you to care for baby.

Here are some FAQ's about children services and assessments .

If the social worker was worried that your baby might be at risk of harm-say because of your mental health or other reasons, then there may be a pre- birth child protection conference to plan for support and monitoring that might be needed when your baby is born, such as an assessment of you in a specialist mother and baby unit.

You do not say whether there were care proceedings in respect of your daughter. This is where children services ask the court for a court order to give them legal parental responsibility to make decisions about a child including deciding where a child will live.

If there were care proceedings, you could contact your solicitor to let her know that you are pregnant and ask them to explain what you can do now about being assessed and making sure you have support to help you care for your baby.

How have things improved for you since 4 years ago? Is there any other support-such as therapy or courses that you could do?
Do you have a mental health diagnosis so can access the right treatment? Discuss with your midwife or GP the specialist services that are available for parents with a mental health conditions. This might be a specialist mental health midwife or a place in a specialist mother and baby unit.
Accessing such services as soon as you can -now-should put you in a better position than when your 4 year old daughter was born.

If it is decided by a court that you and dad are not able to care for your baby safely, is there anyone in your network (such as grandmother) who could be assessed to support you or care for your baby?

I have only touched on things. Have a look at our FAQ’s and post again if you have any questions.

You could also call our private and confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Post Reply