Years after child protection.

Aliceinwonderland

Years after child protection.

Post by Aliceinwonderland » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello 5 years ago whilst I was pregnant social services became involved due to my now ex. He has a colourful police record and mental health issues of which I did not know the full extent. It became a Child protection issue. I left him and after 3 months it changed to child in need then was over. A plo took place just after I gave birth and it was decided no contact between baby and father and I have kept this up. No involvment since.

5 years later my child is healthy and happy and we are getting on with our life. But recently child was poorly we went to the doctor and the GP misdiagnosed a common infection as a bruise after seeing on the medical record the child protection status. We went straight to the hospital (where I was told I would meet a social worker ). Thankfully the hospital doctor realised it was an infection and immediately began giving anti biotics and emailed social work to inform them there was no abuse.

My questions are will the child protection stay with my child forever? It was 3 months from birth. No concerns about me. No contact with bio father. I have never done anything wrong but "professionals " stereotype you based on those few words. Is there any thing I can do to get rid of this status?

DOR19

Re: Years after child protection.

Post by DOR19 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Unfortunately, as you state 'the status' is on your child's records and as such there is nothing you can do to get rid of it – it needs to remain recorded and professionals are trained to consider the family history of safeguarding concerns because research shows that past behaviour is often a good predictor of future behaviour... Unfortunately, parents like yourself, who have learned from past mistakes and addressed all the past concerns will be always affected by this.

It is my hope, however, that the professionals are making clear records of them taking no further action so people can see the past concerns but also all the improvements you have made since as well as the decision that any investigations which followed the PLO/CP period have been unsubstantiated...

It will always remain the professionals’ judgement whether they will take any past concerns into consideration or not. Best wishes that it will not happen again!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Years after child protection.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Dear Aliceinwonderland

Welcome to the Parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you had in the past which you successfully overcame and to hear about the more recent situation to when your child was unwell but this was initially wrongly viewed as a concern about a possible bruise.

As the child protection plan ended 5 years ago your child’s medical records should have been updated when the child protection plan came to an end. It would be a good idea to check with the GP that this is clarified now and to ensure that your child’s medical record now clearly shows the child had an infection not a bruise. You acted as a responsible parent by taking your child to the GP in the first place when they were poorly and you acted on the GP’s instructions to go to the hospital. I hope you will not be deterred from getting medical advice again when it is needed because of this distressing situation.

The fact that the child protection plan for your child existed at one time will remain as part of your child’s history but it is equally important that the outcome of this process is also recorded i.e. that your child was subsequently found to be no longer at risk of harm and you have had no children’s services involvement since.

Dorothy has made some very good points in her post too.

Have you received confirmation in writing from children’s services about the outcome of the more recent situation where your child was unwell? If not, do ask for this and make sure that any information is correctly recorded so that there can be no misunderstanding.

You have behaved very responsibly throughout and done the right thing and this should also be noted on any records.

Best wishes

Suzie