SGO

AaJayyy

SGO

Post by AaJayyy » Fri May 04, 2018 3:25 pm

My daughter is under a Special Guardian Ship Order and I see my daughter once a week.
As I still have parental responsibility, does the guardian have the right to tell me I can't breastfeed my daughter anymore?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue May 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Dear AaJayyy

Thank you for your further post.

As explained in the previous post, the special guardian is able to exercise their parental responsibility over and above yours. The special guardian is able to make decisions in the best interests of your daughter even though you still have parental responsibility.

You say you see your daughter once a week and want to breastfeed. Have you thought about how this will affect your daughter emotionally? She is in a placement with the special guardian and you breastfeeding could send the wrong message and unsettle the baby. I do understand why you may want to breastfeed your daughter but you have to think about her and the effect on her.

In the previous post I suggested that you try to get to the point where you have a better relationship with the special guardian so you could in time have more contact. However, if the special guardian takes the view that you are trying to undermine the placement, the relationship is likely to remain difficult.

Although difficult for you not to have care of your baby the court made the decision that for your baby’s welfare she should not be in your care. You really do need to work on the issues that led to your baby being removed from your care. Until you do this, you are unlikely to have a close relationship with your daughter or, even in time, seek to discharge the order.

To reiterate the special guardian can make decisions about the baby even if you do not agree as your parental responsibility is limited.

Unfortunately, that is the reality of the situation so trying to get on better and do the work you need to do is what you should be concentrating on if as you said in your previous post you want to care for your daughter yourself. Please read the advice sheet sent in the previous post.

If you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie