Can parents grant parental responsibility to a family friend?

Gungadin2993

Can parents grant parental responsibility to a family friend?

Post by Gungadin2993 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi all,

Long story short, a close family friend is sending her 14 year old daughter to live with me in London.
My home is more than suitable and she will have her own bedroom and bathroom etc, I love this little girl like my little sister so I am more than happy to house her while her mum gets things sorted in her own life.

My main concern right now is being able to care for her as best I can, her mum is more than happy for me to make decisions for her with regards to schools and doctors (in case of emergency or dental issues especially)...

My main question here is; is there an easy and efficient way for her mother to grant me the right to sign off on these things? the only ways I've found so far by searching on line seem excessive such as SGOs and CAOs, which involve a court case. There must surely be a better, less complicated way for me to be able to care for her daughter.

Her planned arrival is August this year and in the mean time I need to make absolutely sure there is the possibility for her to be schooled and receive medical aid if and when needed without having to chase down her mum in an emergency.

Please help...

ange301126

Re: Can parents grant parental responsibility to a family friend?

Post by ange301126 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Dear Gungadin,Yes,there is an easier way.
You should go to the local register office and ask for a parental responsibility agreement form.Then both you and the real parent sign that you agree to share parental responsibility,pay a fee (about ten pounds,I think) and the agreement will be registered with the High Court.
You will then have a right to take decisions and give consents etc.re the teenager's welfare.Plus the Local Authority will have to include you in any decisions or actions it may feel it has a duty to make
For example,you will be a party to any children's act proceedings.
I am sure I am right but check with the citizen's advice if in doubt.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Can parents grant parental responsibility to a family friend?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Dear Gungadin,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum and welcome back Ange.

A parental responsibility agreement only applies when mothers give parental responsibility to fathers. So this would not be helpful in your situation.

A child arrangements order, will give you the legal parental responsibility although you will need to apply for permission from the court.
Often when children are 14, the court will question whether the child is competent to make their own decisions and so
whether an order is actually needed.
For detailed advice about this, you could contact a solicitor or speak to the child law advice line.

What stand out from your post is the fact that you will become a “private fosterer” so you will need to notify your local children services about the child coming to live with you.
Here is information about being a private foster carer.

Our advice sheets 21a and 21 b about support might be helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie