Children on CPP, social worker is leaving.

Post Reply
Helpless Warrior
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Children on CPP, social worker is leaving.

Post by Helpless Warrior » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

Children were put on child protection plan in February under the category of emotional harm due to my husband and I arguing. Plan stated I needed to seek legal advice on having husband removed from the family home, which he has done himself and I needed to do the freedom programme (awaiting referral to be done). Current Sw has not supported the kids, myself or my husband at all and just keeps moving goalposts, backtracking on what she has said previously and even tried to force my husband out of the house at 6:30 pm knowing he had nowhere else to go. The only assessment done so far was the original referral assessment based on the fact we were still living together. Am I entitled to get a new s47 assessment done by the new social worker when they take over due to massive change in circumstances?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Children on CPP, social worker is leaving.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Dear Helpless Warrior

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I read from your post that your children are currently on child protection plan due to concerns about their emotional wellbeing due to environment in which they live. This is due primarily it appears from what you say to be due to arguments between you and your husband.

It is always a concern for children services when there is domestic violence/abuse within the family home where children live. The concern arises because of the way in which children are affected whether they witness the violence or arguments.

As the children have been on child protection plans since February, you are due to have a review conference in about May. This review meeting will consider how well the plan has gone and if there needs to be further improvements. It is really very important that you work and engage with children’s services as they have to be satisfied that the children are in a safe living environment.

It is not unusual for children’s services to ask that the perpetrator leaves the home until they have completed their investigations/enquiries and any assessments are completed. The fact that your husband was asked to leave suggests that children’s services believe view that work needs to be done by you as well as your husband to ensure that you are able to safeguard and protect your children.

Please read our advice sheet relating to Child protection procedures. You may also find the information from our website about domestic violence useful.

To answer your question about having a new s47 assessment, I do not think this is likely. There is a plan in place which requires you and the professionals involved to do specific things to make the situation better. Are children’s services planning to do a risk assessment of your husband? Has he been asked to attend any domestic violence services? You need to complete what you have been asked to do before children’s services will be satisfied you can protect your children . The change of circumstances you are speaking of appear to be that your husband was at home when the assessment was carried out and now he is not. Have you and your husband decided to separate permanently? If not, and you wish to live together again, then you both need to do what is on the plan.

If there is to be a permanent separation then all these issues will be discussed at the review meeting and a decision made whether the children remain on child protection plans.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes


Post Reply