Where do we stand

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Where do we stand

Post by TaidCric » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:51 pm

On Christmas night my latest grandchild was born,3 days later the social took her to court where a care order was put in place. 5 days later my daughter & her son were moved out of our county to a fostering unit. She signed a contract of expectations and did more than what was asked of her, she's received many positive comments from many of the professionals involved apart. The amount of negativity shown to her from incompetent social workers,judges & court workers are beyond disgusting,and we have been told in the last hour that my grandson is to be taken away from his loving mother. Is this legal?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Where do we stand

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Dear TaidCric

Thank you for your post which I will respond to here. As you are a grandparent though, if you do wish to post a further query please use our specialist Family and Friends Carers discussion board instead of this parents board.

My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties your family is experiencing which are clearly very distressing for you all.

From what you say, children’s services began care proceedings for your daughter’s baby son shortly after his birth and they were placed together in a joint or mother and baby fostering placement. Although in your opinion your daughter has done all that has been asked of her it seems that the baby is being placed elsewhere, perhaps with an unrelated foster carer. I don’t think from what you say that a final court order has been made as the baby was only born at Christmas, and the court process can take up to 26 weeks. If your grandson is the subject of an interim care order this would allow children’s services to place the baby with a carer without his mother’s consent. However, your daughter should clarify all of this with her solicitor as soon as possible.

You feel very strongly that your daughter has been very badly treated so far. I am very sorry to hear this. You are querying the legality of the situation. As a parent involved in care proceedings your daughter should be represented by a solicitor in the court case. It is essential that she liaises closely with them about her son’s case and what she can do.

We have a lot of information that may help you and your daughter to understand the processes and options.

I wonder if your daughter is a young parent? Our advice for young parents on care proceedings may be helpful to her alongside these tips for working with a social worker and tips for working with a solicitor.

Duties on children’s services when children are in the care system
explains the procedures which apply when a child is in foster care.

Have you or other family members been assessed as a possible carer for the baby? You can let your daughter’s solicitor know if you want this to happen. A family group conference could help you see if anyone in the family could help keep the baby safely cared for within the family perhaps as a kinship carer initially or through Special Guardianship.

This advice sheet on adoption: what does it mean for birth parents? explains all about this process. If adoption is being put forward your daughter should discuss this urgently with her solicitor.

You may well have further specific questions and can come back to us on the family and friends’ board or you or your daughter can ring our Freephone helpline on 0808 8010366 Mon- Fri 9.30 – 3.00 to speak to an adviser.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes


Post Reply