Decisions are they right

Sad122516

Decisions are they right

Post by Sad122516 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi..long and complicated here it goes..
So court proceedings ended in September 2017. It was decided my son go to family under a full care order. Me (mother) dad and gran had to go through a horrible court proceedings to determine how my little one ended up with a head injury what no one could explain ( and still can't)..the judge exnorated gran (finally) from causing the injury and cleared of any wrong doing before all this gran used to work in a nursery and have her other 2 grandkids all the time. Why we went through proceedings all had to stop and promised by as to continue if gran got all clear. Now we are in february gran got cleared SS still say she can't look after her other 2 grandkids and has supervised contact with grandson (who had an injury) every fortnight.we constantly ring ss up and they say until they get the judgement through there not budging. It ain't fair surely she's getting treated wrongly even though judge cleared her. Does this sound right?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Decisions are they right

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Dear Sad122516,

Thank you for posting again. I am sorry to hear about the delay in making plans around contact.

Your son is currently placed with your sister and he remains under a full care order. This means he is a “looked after child”.

I can see that children’s services are not making any decisions about contact becoming unsupervised, until they receive a written copy of the court’s judgment comes through from the court.
As the court dealt with finding of facts about an injury to your son, I can see why they will want to know how the court came to a decision and also what facts, if any, were found against Gran which will help them plan contact.

But I agree with you that 5 months is too long to wait.

Have you checked with your solicitor about when the judgment might come through? Or you could ring the court itself to find out when it will be ready and the let them know how it is causing a delay.

You say that you keep ringing the social worker. Instead, I suggest that Gran emails the social worker, team manager and the independent reviewing officer stating that she would like to move forward to unsupervised contact and ask that an assessment of contact be carried out.
Here is our advice sheet about contact when children are subject to a care order . Page 10 has tips about asking for an assessment for contact. The advice sheet also sets out research and government guidance about the importance of a child in care having contact with his family.

I hope this advice helps but if you need further advice, please post again or call our advice line on 0809 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie