SGO needing advice

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:16 pm

SGO needing advice

Post by MCE1234 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello I’m just wondering if any one has any help or advice basically my dad and his girlfriend are SGO on my son I do get to see him regularly but I just want him home where he belongs has any one got their children back into their care after a SGO and what did you do to fight for that to happen I’m going to be doing a some coursers like parenting puzzle ect. I’m in a totally different situation now I’m with some one new we have been together comming up 3 years so in a stable relationship we both want to fight to get him home with us

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: SGO needing advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Dear Mickey1234

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

In the situation you describe ‘fighting’ for your son’s return may be difficult. You said that your son was in care for several months during which time you were assessed for him to be returned but that you failed the assessment and that you felt you were treated badly by the local authority during the process. From what I read your son may have been in the care of your father and his partner for more than three years and is settled with them.

Now however, you say that your personal circumstances have changed and that you are in a stable and long term relationship who is not the mother of the child. Your suggestion that you take some parenting courses to address any previous concerns that were raised about your parenting abilities is a good one. If the issues that caused your son to be removed from your care in the first place have been resolved this may be of benefit to you in the future.

When the Order was made you say that contact arrangements were granted, if it is feasible perhaps you might ask the special guardians to consider allowing you more access to your son?

Special Guardianship Orders are ‘designed’ to offer a permanent placement for children and last until the child is 18 years old. They can be discharged through a court order but there would have to be a significant change of circumstances and you will need to get permission from the court to discharge the order. Our advice sheet Special Guardianship Orders: what does it mean for birth parents, will tell you more about the orders, I hope it is useful.

Best wishes


Post Reply