S20

Basil

S20

Post by Basil » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am

Hi if a child is in foster care under s20, where school contact details are concerned does the foster career remove parents details and replace with there's? Child in same school but living not in area. And should I have been informed of this happening first, all so school reports sent to foster care not me, medical appointment sent to foster career not me, this does not sound right to me, also I have access when ever I want, yeah right. Saturday arranged to see my child, they were going out, so arranged Sunday told to ring first for time, which I did told to come at tea time about 4pm only to find my child had gone work with the husband, they came back about 4.30pm by 5pm well it's time to get tea now thanks for coming, since weekend not convenient to visit. What can I do I'm not happy and neither is my child. Also was asked by foster career for my child's bank book if he has one so they can put his pocket money in if he does not spend it. Please help and advise.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: S20

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Basil

You must remember that under a section 20 agreement, your child is accommodated, therefore, you retain parental responsibility for them. The foster carer is obliged to specify her relationship to your child. As next of kin, they are the person the school would contact in case of emergencies, but you remain the birth parent. You could request a copy of school reports are sent to you. Under the circumstances, it may be advisable that, with your permission, the foster carer opens a new bank account for your child, so any previous savings remain untouched, and there is no room for confusion.

All of these arrangements should be negotiated, and form part of the care plan made at the regular Looked After Review meetings. You can state your wishes about this, and current contact arrangements, in the parents evaluation forms for these meetings, or by discussing with the social worker or Independent Reviewing Officer.

Best Wishes

Suzie