Baby's dad in prison

Scrappy123

Baby's dad in prison

Post by Scrappy123 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:52 pm

My boyfriend get sent down 18 week ago I had our baby 14week ago he's allowed home in November on tag, but he's not allowed to live with me and his son we have to get assessed by the social services first I go visit him every week with the baby he's in there for fighting on a night out has anyone else had this do use know why and how long it will take for all 3 of us to live together?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Baby's dad in prison

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Dear Scrappy123

Congratulations on the birth of your child.

I am sorry to hear that your partner was sent to prison. You say, he will be allowed out of prison in November, but he will not be able to live with you and your baby until children services have carried out an assessment.

Have a look at our triangle diagram -which explains support for children and the different levels of children services being involved. Underneath the triangle, there are FAQ’s about children services and assessments.

The assessment will involve the social worker coming to your home, seeing you and baby together, and checking your home and where you and baby sleep. The social worker will want to know about your relationship with dad and whether there has been any problems, such as domestic violence.
The social worker will want to speak to any professionals who are involved with baby-such as the health visitor and GP. She will do checks with the police.
She will also want to speak to anyone involved with dad-such as his probation officer and should speak to dad and his family as well.
She will also want to know about your support network –family and friends.

So it will feel like you are under the microscope. The best way forward though, is to be cooperative with the assessment.
But the social worker should also explain things to you, should usually ask for your consent before she contacts any professionals about you and ne respectful of who you are-your culture and background for example.
Here is information about the best way to work with a social worker.

At the end of the assessment, she should give you a report. She may want a plan of support to be put in place (child in need plan).
A plan might include courses for dad and also support for you as well as what other ways professionals will be supporting you.

If at any point, children services thought baby might be at risk of harm, for example, from dad, then she may want a child protection investigation to take place. Here are FAQ’s about child protection .
You may be able to have an advocate to support you. Here is information about advocates.

You may also be interested in that support families of prisoners. these organisations .

I hope this advice helps. But if you have any questions or need further support, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Scrappy123

Post by Scrappy123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Hiya thanks for your reply as you said the social worker may get in touch with the health visitor I've told my health visitor my partner is away working that's why he's never around will that effect it do you think I should tell her truth? Just I didn't want her to judge me she's abit of a funny health visitor. Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Dear Scrappy123,

Yes, you should tell the health visitor the truth about where dad is at the moment. She is likely to find out from children services or the GP, so it is better that she hears it from you directly. You can explain that you were worried that she would judge you, that’s why you did not tell her in the first place.
It is better to be as honest as you can with the health visitor. That way you can have a trusting relationship-which will be better for you and your baby.

She is in a very good position to offer you support or help you access services for your baby.

Best wishes,

Suzie