Adoption

R2408

Adoption

Post by R2408 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:21 am

I have just found out that a social worker adopted my 2 children. Is this allowed? And would said social worker be able to access my confidential information on their system?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Adoption

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Dear R2408

Welcome to the Parents Discussion Board.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see that you are concerned that your children were adopted by a social worker. There is no reason why a social worker cannot adopt a child if that person is assessed as being an appropriate placement for a child.

When the plain is for a child is going to be adopted, children services have to follow procedures which include the prospective adopters being matched to the child as being able to meet most if not all a child’s needs. The prospective adopters will be given information about the child’s background, health, emotional and developmental needs and practical implications for parenting that child. There will be meetings with the prospective adopters so they have a full understanding going forward to adoption.

All the procedures have to be followed before the match (that is, adopter and child) goes to the adoption panel. A social worker adopting has to go through the same process as anyone else.

Some information regarding the child’s background is given so this is likely to include general information about parents. I do not think the social worker (is this person from your local authority?) will be able to access information about you as you should be protected by the Data Protection Act. I suggest you contact the Information Commissioner on 0303 123 1113 or more information about data protection.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie