CPP and sensitive information - college interview

Har1Her1

CPP and sensitive information - college interview

Post by Har1Her1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello,

Just a quick question because I can't find the information anywhere else.

I had hoped my youngest son would be taken off his CPP earlier this week, but the Review Conference has been postponed. He has an interview for a college course early next week. Please could you tell me if we have to disclose that my son has an open child protection plan when he goes for his interview.

I am a bit worried because his plan mentions sexual abuse of a sibling with disabilities in which my youngest son was a perpetrator. The incidents are historic and have been dealt with through police inquiry and there is a mitigating context because my youngest also has special needs. I just don't want anyone to panic and I want my youngest to have the chance to move on.

The course is for students with additional needs.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: CPP and sensitive information - college interview

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Dear Har1Her1

The question of whether your son is known to Children’s Services and in what capacity may come up at the interview or subsequent documentary information required by the college or it may be passed on to the college by your son’s school or the social worker responsible for him. This does not mean that he will be prevented from accessing and participating in further education but it may mean that a new set of professionals become involved with your family.

Working Together to Safeguard Children, 2015 sets out on pages 47-49 and 55, the responsibilities professionals in schools and colleges have to children and families when there is a child protection plan in place.

However, you have said that the review conference was merely postponed the matter may resolve itself before your son enrols. Please do ask the social worker responsible for your son what information, if any, they are required to pass on to schools or colleges.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Suzie