Worried about state of house

2017mummy

Worried about state of house

Post by 2017mummy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm

33 weeks pregnant and due a visit from ss any day to do a pre birth assessment. really worried they're going to think it's unsuitable.

We had plasterers in today, electrician coming in as on as plasterers are done.

Half way through a full house rewire, getting the whole house plastered, new carpets and lino, completing the kitchen and bathroom. It will be like a new house in a few weeks and we have £10K in the bank to do it. Just worried they won't see it as work in progress.

Our bedroom is basically ok to use and we have everything we need for the baby, all new, still boxed to protect it. The house is clean/empty so not squalid or anything. Just needs the home improvements to be done and kinda been tied to workmen and my availability which I have lots of now as I'm off work from tomorrow.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Worried about state of house

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Dear 2017 mummy

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry that you feel so worried about the social worker visiting your home. From what you have described in your post about the state of your home, it seems to me that it will be clear to the social worker that you are carrying out home improvements.

A social worker will usually be concerned about the home environment if it is dirty and in a state not suitable for a child to be in safely. Provided you can show that your baby will come home to a clean home and you have equipment to meet his or her needs I do not think having work done should be a problem.

Please read our frequently asked questions about what social workers look for when consider safeguarding for an unborn child.

I hope you find this helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie