S47 social services

E234

S47 social services

Post by E234 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Ok here goes. 4 weeks ago I was attacked at home by my now ex partner in the run up to the attack I had received threats of death and other unsavoury threats after the attack I rang the police and made a statement the offender was arrested he has been charged and were going to court. My 3 year old child was in bed during the attack

Mean while social services have visited me and put me on a s47 assessment they have spoken to my 2 children's fathers home checked etc. This is in its 4th week now and I'm petrified I've never had any involvement with social services I'm 45 and my children are very well cared for I get on famously with both my ex partners the children's fathers who only had good things to say about me to social services. But I'm still freightened to death they are going to knock on my door social services and take my children. I cry all the time I can't sleep I've lost a stone in weight the doctor had given me beta blockers I just don't know how it all works and I'm reading so many horror stories. I'm the victim and I feel very much like the defendant. I'm sorry I rang the police now I really am. I've rang and left a msg for the social worker but she hasn't replied I don't want to mither her and get her back up.

I only went out with this man for four months. I've made it clear I won't be taking him back I've since had him recarrested twice for breech of his bail because he has contacted me and drove me off the road and he's still gets bail. I feel let down really by the bail people but that's another story. I've envoked Clair's law and this man has a history of this kind of thing.

Has anyone had similar or know what might happen I'm so so scared I'm going to lose my children because one of them were in the house in bed.

Please help. X

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: S47 social services

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Dear E234

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

From your post it is very clear that you are extremely worried and concerned about the current involvement of children services (the new name for social services) with your family.

The process that you are involved in at the moment is as a result of the police involvement. The police are legally required to make a referral to children services where they are called to domestic violence incident and there in children in the home. Once children services receive the referral they have to make a decision as to what assessment, if any, might be necessary to ensure that a child or children are safeguarded in the home. Please see our http://www.frg.org.uk/images/Advice_She ... rvices.pdf relating to what happens when children services receive a referral.

As you have said in your post, you have had a home visit and now the social worker is undertaking an s.47 assessment. This assessment is a child protection investigation and depending on the findings as to whether your children have suffered and are likely to suffer future significant harm, the recommendation may be for an initial child protection conference. I am including a copy of our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures for your information.

Regarding your concern that the children services might come to your home and remove your children. Please be reassured that the local authority cannot legally remove your children without a court order or with your agreement. If it was considered necessary to remove your children following the incident, then children services could have asked the police to remove the children and then seek your agreement for their continued removal or go to court for an order.

My advice to you is that you cooperate fully with the assessment that is being carried out at the moment. Children services main concern is to ensure that the children are in a safe environment and that you are putting their needs first. I suggest that you positively engage and if it is suggested that you take any action to safeguard yourself and the children, then you should accept their advice and attend any courses or programme.

Regarding your former partner, you may wish to consider making an application to the court for a non-molestation order to prevent him coming to your home or contacting you. Breach of a non-molestation order is an arrestable offence. You are likely to be eligible for legal aid because of the domestic violence nature of the case.

You might also wish to consider making contact with services relating to domestic abuse which provide help and support. The services you could contact are Rights of Women and Women’s Aid

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please feel free to telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie