Can i get an SGO reversed?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Can i get an SGO reversed?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46 pm

Dear Balakirev

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

Congratulations on have such a good outcome from your leukaemia treatment and I wish you continued good health.

Regarding your query about applying to discharge the Special Guardianship Order, you should attempt mediation to see if agreement can be reached with the Special Guardian for the Order to be discharged.

If contact is not going well, it is open to you to make an application to the court to enforce the Child Arrangement Order. Contact is for the benefit of the children and there is an order in place so if he wishes to change the current arrangements, then he will need to apply to the court to vary the Order.

Whilst you have an obligation to maintain your children this does not extend to the Special Guardian unless of course this was the arrangement you reached at the time you asked him to look after your children.

Parental responsibility would end on discharge of the Order.

I have included a copy of our advice sheet relating to Special Guardianship and what it means for birth parents.

Your application would be a private law application and, as such, I am including here details of the organisation that advises on private law matters.

I am sure that you will be able to represent yourself in court once you make the application and wish you the very best of luck.

Best wishes,


Post Reply