Social workers

pritchyboy

Social workers

Post by pritchyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi all,I'm new to this so not 100% sure if I'm on the right page.Anyway my daughter lives in her own house with her 2 children(ages 2 and 3) the social services keep calling at her house,my daughter keeps telling us it's because off her past,she left home at 16 and ended up in a hostel,now she keeps saying she left home because of her and her mum always arguing.The thing is my daughter lies a lot and myself and my wife are wondering why the social services haven't been in touch with ourselves,our main concern is our grandchildren maybe the social services are there because of them and our daughter isn't telling us the truth.Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.
Kind regards .[*]named removed by Suzie[*]

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social workers

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Dear pritchyboy

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see from your post that you are concerned about children services (new name for social services) involvement with your daughter and grandchildren.

It is difficult to say without more information why children services are calling at your daughter’s home. Perhaps children services are carrying out enquiries about a particular issue or working with your daughter to provide support to her and her children if they consider this to be necessary for the children to be in a safe environment. As your daughter has told you, it may be because they are concerned about her history, I assume she is a young parent, so might need additional support.

Children services will not make contact with you as your daughter is now an adult and the mother of 2 children. You did not say in your post how old she is now only that she left know at 16. They may contact you if they believe your daughter is not coping and might suggest that you and your wife look after the children for a short time to allow your daughter time to do any work children services consider appropriate. This would have to be with your daughter’s agreement unless children services feel an application for a court order is necessary.

I understand that you are worried about your grandchildren because of children services involvement. It might help if you and your wife are able to speak with your daughter about your concerns to see if she will give you more information.

Normally, children services become involved if they receive a referral from other professionals, the police or anyone else even if it an anonymous referral. After such a referral they would contact with the parent or parents with whom the children are living about the referral. Please read our advice sheet here regarding what happens when children services receive a referral. You may also like to read our advice sheet about the support children services can offer families.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes,

Suzie